What's new

Boar and face lathering?

Thought I would try something new to improve my shave. Same razor, same blade, same soap but rather than building up lather in the bowl I loaded my brush and face lathered. Worst shave in some time. I realize that everyone is different but as a general rule are boar brushes from the VDH Deluxe kit too harsh for face lathering?

I'm normally lather from a bowl, but I have done a face lather from time to time. I don't believe that the brush makes any difference. Some may be rougher then others, but the process is still the same. IMHO.

I think its all what suits you, from how you lather to which brush you use. :thumbup1:

I use a boar brush for face lathering as part of my 3 brush rotation and have no issues with it. One issue may be if the brush isn't broken in yet. I've never used your particular brush, but if it's ok with applying lather after you've made it in a bowl, I think it should be ok for face lathering, too.

No there is nothing wrong with the VDH brush. I have one that I use for my Williams every week and it does a brilliant job face lathering that soap. That said it takes quite a while for that brush to break in and become soft at the tips, I've had it since August of last year and using it once a week it's just now becoming one of my favorites. It's not of the same caliber as Omega mind you but good. I find my badger brushes irritating for face lathering and don't use them anymore but boar is wonderful.

Thanks for the input. What I thought was broken in must not be there yet. I'll give it another go in a month or two.

I face lathered using a $7 drug store boar brush early on in my wet shaving career. Worked off a bar of Klar. No problems. The brush was allowed to soak before grabbing soap off the bar. Only reason I face lathered, I was shaving in my 1/2 bath and didn't have a mug in there to work the lather. I was actually surprised how easy it was to build a good lather on my face

Not that you asked but one time I tried using the Klar bar like a shave stick and that I didn't care for...the way it felt on my skin but I did spend some time out in the sun the previous day so I beleive a bit of sun burn was the cause of the face stick irritation

I think in the future I'll leave the soap stick to others and work the soap from the source using a brush, *then* lathering my face...but how little I travel lately, it'll be awhile before this scenario comes up...unless I purposely lather this way at home. Admittedly, I lke and use a scuttle for building my lathers. Call me old fashioned=:)

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

It's probably technique (not what most want to hear as an answer) -- particularly if that was your first attempt at face lathering.

I use the VDH boar brush and face lathering actually gave me the best results. I still use the a VDH bowl off and on to lather then apply. Not that the VDH brush is totally lacking but I believe spending $20-50 on a better brush might make it more enjoyable. My Omega boar should show up today...can't wait.

I use the VDH boar brush too. No issues with it, it works fine.

Someday, like when I order blades, I'll probably order a better boar and a badger just to see what the fuss is all about. I'm in no hurry though.

Thought I would try something new to improve my shave. Same razor, same blade, same soap but rather than building up lather in the bowl I loaded my brush and face lathered. Worst shave in some time. I realize that everyone is different but as a general rule are boar brushes from the VDH Deluxe kit too harsh for face lathering?

A mate sent me a $1 boar from a store in outback WA, and I can make a prefectly decent lather with it, and face lather. It's pricklier than Joan Rivers though.

Like most things in shaving, it's usually technique and getting to know the tools.

Top Bottom