What's new

Adding scent to witch hazel...?

At it's very basic level - yes :001_smile you can go further and add spices, herbs and alike, but you'll probably need a higher alcohol content for them to infuse properly. You can mix in vodka and it'll work (probably 1/4 vodka, 3/4 WH). Just add everything into a jar and leave it for a month. Various people have also recommended adding glycerine and aloe vera gel for a more moisturising AS. You may find that with a low alcohol content (basic witch hazel's usually about 14% I think) that the essential oils may not be suspended properly so just give the bottle a good shake up before you use any :thumbup1:

Interesting post.
I just got a bottle of witch hazel from amazon.co.uk (it's pretty hard to find WH in Belgium) and it's just the pure stuff, including that pure smell...

As most said I would, I have grown to find the scent of WH bareable now. However I did buy some eucalyptus essential oil and added 10 drops to an almost new bottle. The EO really helped, but it didn't take all the original smell away. But it's just a few minutes between shaving and applying AS, so I'm pleased with the results.

And with such a variety of EO's one could fine-tune their mix or have several options. Good luck!

So this is probably an incredibly newbie-ish question, but where do I get essential oils? I'm also looking to add some scent to my witch hazel.

You can pick up essential oils pretty cheaply from amazon - you should also be able to pick up cool looking glass bottles to store everything in :thumbup1:

I tried and was never able to mask the smell of the WH. I ended up adding an obscene amount just as an experiment. Never had any luck.

So this is probably an incredibly newbie-ish question, but where do I get essential oils? I'm also looking to add some scent to my witch hazel.

I get my EO's at Hobby Lobby, but have seen them at other hobby shops and Health food stores as well. I like about 15 drops of peppermint and eucalyptus. Sometimes add a little glycerin as well.

(it's pretty hard to find WH in Belgium) and it's just the pure stuff, including that pure smell...

In Belgium and The Netherlands Witch Hazel is called Hamamelis Hydrolaat (the pure stuff). You can get it at your local reform store. It's generally sold in medicinal-like brown bottles out here. Usage as AS is not common :001_rolle...

I tried and was never able to mask the smell of the WH. I ended up adding an obscene amount just as an experiment. Never had any luck.

I found that I had to add a lot more lime EO, and some iso alcohol and glycerin, to effectively mask the scent of the WH. Even then, the stank still fights through the good stuff if you're looking/smelling for it. I'm s-l-o-w-l-y learning to just accept the inevitable horror of it.

Question: when you guys suggest adding alcohol, are you talkin' grain or vodka, or simple drugstrore rubbing/isopropyl alcohol?

I'd recommend any old vodka over rubbing alcohol as I'd be dubious about putting something with such a high percentage on my face from day to day. I made a bay rum type aftershave from a 50/50 mix of rum, witch hazel and various other spices and it turned out great. IMO you'd be asking for burn if you use anything medical grade straight after shaving :laugh:

The tree bark smell isn't horrible.
Really, it isn't.

OK, it's isn't exactly great though. Does the tree bark smell last more than a few minutes on you? It is gone very quickly from me.

If I wear a AS on top of the witch hazel then the smell is overpowered, even with the weakest of AS in my den.

Phil

I use the cheap stuff from Wally world and either the EO does a great job of masking it or I don't Notice the smell anymore. I actually look forward to using it, the peppermint EO gives a nice cooling effect. Maybe I'm just getting hard of smelling. :w00t:

I use very basic 'raw' witch hazel that is 14% alcohol (and £1.50 for 250ml [10 oz]) and the smell fades once it's dried. I think I'm amongst the few that actually likes the smell though :laugh: I pour it into a mister type bottle with a few blobs of aloe vera gel and it works great. I've also suffered from zits since I was in my early teens and it seems to have completely eradicated them - it's great stuff :thumbup1:

I'd recommend any old vodka over rubbing alcohol as I'd be dubious about putting something with such a high percentage on my face from day to day. I made a bay rum type aftershave from a 50/50 mix of rum, witch hazel and various other spices and it turned out great. IMO you'd be asking for burn if you use anything medical grade straight after shaving :laugh:

I've heard of guys using straight rubbing alcohol (not sure if 70% or 90%) as an aftershave splash. STRAIGHT. That's it. The reasoning is that they have oily complexions and the iso alcohol splash does triple duty by disenfecting any cuts or nics, drying up/cleaning away some oil (sebum), and providing a bracingly pleasant burn.

Top Bottom