What's new

TGN or the Whippeddog?

What do you fellow restorers think?? Which is the best bang for the buck?? I'm in need of 2 20mm knots and a 24mm more like a 24.5 mm but i'll email them and let them know to send me a larger knot that would fit that.

i would like to hear your suggestions.

Joe

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
What do you fellow restorers think?? Which is the best bang for the buck?? I'm in need of 2 20mm knots and a 24mm more like a 24.5 mm but i'll email them and let them know to send me a larger knot that would fit that.

i would like to hear your suggestions.

Joe

I nearly 100% use only TGN knots, never heard about the other supplier. Most of us here use TGN knots.

I've a 22mm silvertip from Larry setting right now, pre bloom it looks a decent stuffed knot, I'll find out more tomorrow but for the money I've no complaints.

As for TGN's I've used the 20mm extra stuffed finest a few times & again an excellent knot for the money.

To be honest I don't think you can far wrong with either, if your after shavemac/simpson quality knots you'll have to go to there price range but for your normal restores 90% of the quaility for a quarter of the price is good enough for me :001_smile

One thing to note for your projects is the knot's are quite a bit thicker above the plug, my 22mm knot is 24mm wide approx 7mm above the plug top. For your 24mm you might actually be better off with a 22mm knot depending on what loft your setting at.

that is a good thing to know. i would have thought that as ling as the plug fit... i forgot that it does fan out.

For myself, TGN is the one choice simply because Tony has so many different sizes available in so many different knot sizes. You need a specific size in a specific grade of knot? Gotta go with TGN

Tony at TGN has top-notch customer service. I have purchased from him multiple times and will continue doing so in the future. Buy with complete confidence!

Tony has a great range of knots and fantastic service :thumbup:

That being said I sent Larry a note about my last restore and he offered to send me a knot on approval :w00t:

Wasn't the right grade though but exactly the sort of service I expect from Larry.

Ill try one of Larry's knots one day but I don't reckon you can go wrong with either.

It takes a while because he's so busy, but if you have a handle that you just really love, Bernd at shavemac will put a knot together for you. I have one or two handles that I'm partial to, one being the beloved green/black everready, and I think something you want to keep deserves the best obtainable knot you can afford. Unless brush manufactuers like Simpsons and Rooney start sells their knots, I'm going with a Shavemac.

The Whipped Dog 22mm Silvertip that is available now for $16 is a great knot. I just put one in a vintage Century 4 handle. I think it is denser than the TGN Standard Silvertip, but I have no way to quantitatively measure that. The feel is awesome, soft tips, I set the 22mm at about 50-51mm and it has plenty of backbone, etc.

Top Bottom