What's new

Am I really shaving with this vintage OS soap?

Am I really going to use the shriveled up half puck of OS shaving soap that came with an eBay purchased OS mug? I washed it really well and I can tell that it will provide an excellent lather, but this was at the bottom of someone else's mug for God knows how long! I'm not telling my wife if I do use it tomorrow...

What else will you do with it? Keep it in the mug? Throw it away?

You've got to use it, at least to try it at least once and experience the GLORIOUSNESS that is vintage OS soap.

Whenever I think about vintage soaps, I ask myself, "what the heck would I clean it with, soap and water?" :lol:

Wash off any external grime and enjoy a little of the shaving goodness that our fathers and grandfathers knew. You don't have a time machine, but this might be the closest thing on earth.

My two Old Spice vintage soaps in the OS mugs were new and clean, but yellowish looking. I just covered the cakes with water and let them sit overnight. Both of the cakes recovered and became creamy looking and shaved just as well as my Tabac or MWF. Just because an old puck doesn't look like a new soap cake, don't give up on them. Mine do not have any Old Spice smell, but the odor is a faint tallow, Ivory soap smell.

What a nice lather! I wished it had some scent, but I did get a nice tallow soap lather. My skin feels well moisturized. And it didn't take much to get the puck to give up a good lather. I'll use it up. It is sitting in the same ramekin as two nearly used pucks of VDH and Williams, though it doesn't belong there!

I pour hot water over them wait about a minute , pour off lather up , rinse puck, cup and brush good then get after it.

This stuff really is good! Went for 3 irritation free passes today and my skin is soft and smooth! As good as Tabac or the fat.

That's what's really amazing about the vintage Old Spice soap...it's not that it's the world's finest shaving soap, but it's good, quality stuff. It was cheap and available at almost any drugstore. That's the sort of thing that our fathers and grandfathers gave up for the canned foam.

Makes you kind of sad thinking about it.

That's what's really amazing about the vintage Old Spice soap...it's not that it's the world's finest shaving soap, but it's good, quality stuff. It was cheap and available at almost any drugstore. That's the sort of thing that our fathers and grandfathers gave up for the canned foam.

Makes you kind of sad thinking about it.

You can probably say the same thing about Williams, Colgate Cup and a couple other lesser known soaps from that era. They were a good quality product that everybody from regular old working Joe's all the way up to the upper crust used.

And yes, it's kind of sad that they are no longer made. That's why finding some at an antique store or in somebodies attic is such a great thing.

I guess the makers of VDH and Williams won't change if the stuff keeps leaving the shelves. Will we ever see a quality, low priced tallow soap in the States ever again?

I guess the makers of VDH and Williams won't change if the stuff keeps leaving the shelves. Will we ever see a quality, low priced tallow soap in the States ever again?

Williams has changed ALOT in the decades the stuff from the 70's lathers similar to old spice, the new william lathers like dish soap

Williams has changed ALOT in the decades the stuff from the 70's lathers similar to old spice, the new william lathers like dish soap

the Williams prior to the current formula, from the early 2000's is also great stuff. Sodium Tallowate is the first ingredient. it lathers up beautifully and can be found relatively easily/cheaply.

the Williams prior to the current formula, from the early 2000's is also great stuff. Sodium Tallowate is the first ingredient. it lathers up beautifully and can be found relatively easily/cheaply.

I used the Beecham era Williams this morning and you are correct, it's very good stuff.

Last edited:
Last night I let some water sit on top of the puck for about 30 minutes. When I took a look at it, I found a yellow liquid had leached out of the puck and was sitting on top of it. It was the color of fat. I wonder if it was some tallow that came out. I poured it off the puck into the scuttle, but then I rinsed it down the drain. Any ideas on what it was? I didn't feel or smell it. The soap still delivered this morning!

Last edited:
Ouch you poured off the good stuff. It was just some of the fat working out of that old puck. Leave it let it dry or just lather it up next shave it won't hurt you. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom