What's new

Anyone collect new razors to save 'em for later generations??

So back in the '40s (or even earlier, for that matter), I bet it was difficult to imagine a large group of people being interested in collecting a household item that was rather popular and widely available. But here we are, collecting all kinds of vintage Gillettes and Gems and all sorts of 60-year-plus old shaving stuff.

Does anyone collect a bunch of the current razors and save them in hopes that 60 years from now, they'll be a huge collector's item? It's hard to imagine, and I'm sure those guys in the '40s didn't think about it much either. How much would a current, unopened Muhle sell for in 2070? Will it even sell?

Better yet, what would a regular old Fusion or Mach 3 sell for?!

So who's making the shaving time capsule, huh? :lol:

I have bought a lot of Gillette Sensor Excel razors, unopened. I stock piled them because I like the razor and I know they usually stop making the handles first before they stop making the cartridges, i.e. the Trac II and Atra. I also stocked some Schick Hydros.

I'd like to think that I'm doing something like that with currently vintage razors - helping to maintain an original bit of history.

Hopefully, other guys are looking at the field of currently made razors and doing the same.

I appreciate that someone 90-100 years ago took enough care of something that it can still be used today and, in some cases, thought to keep the original tin or case and papers. (Or, maybe, they thought it was a cheap gift and threw it in the back of the medicine cabinet. :lol: ) Either way, I still appreciate the gesture. :thumbup1:

It's cheaper to start collecting present day razors and working your way back as opposed to the other way around. Oh my, why didn't I think of that sooner?

-jim

I am still shaving with the Gillette Slim (L2) that I bought back in 1966 and enjoy using it on Thursday of each week. I guess that gives away my age a little, and you are right that back then a forum was not a concept.

But it needs to be remembered that they were very different times and people only had enough money for necessities. Very few people had the money to be able to collect things.

Regards,
BarrysCool.

ɹǝpun-uʍop puɐl ʇɐǝɹƃ ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ ˙looɔsʎɹɹɐq

In a hundred years the thought of touching your face with anything metal will seem barbaric. Besides, it will be much easier to have your android servant assist you into your personal hygiene pod for an invigorating plasma wash. :001_smile

In a hundred years the thought of touching your face with anything metal will seem barbaric. Besides, it will be much easier to have your android servant assist you into your personal hygiene pod for an invigorating plasma wash. :001_smile

I think you are right on the money.

Regards,
BarrysCool.

ɹǝpun-uʍop puɐl ʇɐǝɹƃ ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ ˙looɔsʎɹɹɐq

Sounds....automated....

I like to think that some things won't change. When we start being so lazy as to not even bathe ourselves without our automatic doo-dads, that's the point where everyone ends up like the people in Wall-E: overweight and reliant on technology, buzzin' around on little lazy hover chairs. Blech...

...snip...Does anyone collect a bunch of the current razors and save them in hopes that 60 years from now, they'll be a huge collector's item? It's hard to imagine, and I'm sure those guys in the '40s didn't think about it much either. How much would a current, unopened Muhle sell for in 2070? Will it even sell? ...snip...:

i actually started a similar thread a while back: HERE, but haven't gotten around to buying them yet, but i better with the EJ styles changing.

i'm looking at getting a couple muhle or EJ 89's for my 2 boys, tuck them away and pull them out when they start asking to shave. they are 4 & 6 now, so they'll get tucked away for a while. the 6y old loves to shave with my razors (minus the blade) uses the brush, whips up lather, puts on a balm. he's good for 1 pass, but sometimes he says he needs to do a 2nd one :lol:

i figure, right now the Muhle & EJ 89 are the best priced new razors out there, so i'll probably order a couple Chrome ones (so there is no squabbling about colours)

I'm already starting to think that someone will pay for my old used Sensor Excel handle.
Hey I've also got a spiffy Mach 3 handle in red. I hear the colour makes it shave better....

No, when I'm dead the kids are going to probably look at all that stuff and sell it on ebay3000 or whatever.

I'll bet in the future you'll just stand in front of the mirror and a lazer will zap the whiskers from your face.

No, I prefer to leave it to chance. If the Mach 3 which I've never gotten around to opening is still in that state when I die, and through the twists and turns of fate is still a good condition NOS in 2111, well, maybe someone will appreciate it. They may also appreciate some of the vintage razors which were already used when I got them.

I can't say I really care, though. There are things which I may owe to future generations, but leaving them interesting 20th and 21st century collectibles is not very high on the list.:wink2:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
So back in the '40s (or even earlier, for that matter), I bet it was difficult to imagine a large group of people being interested in collecting a household item that was rather popular and widely available. But here we are, collecting all kinds of vintage Gillettes and Gems and all sorts of 60-year-plus old shaving stuff.

Does anyone collect a bunch of the current razors and save them in hopes that 60 years from now, they'll be a huge collector's item? It's hard to imagine, and I'm sure those guys in the '40s didn't think about it much either. How much would a current, unopened Muhle sell for in 2070? Will it even sell?

Better yet, what would a regular old Fusion or Mach 3 sell for?!

So who's making the shaving time capsule, huh? :lol:

I am far too practical to collect. We didn't have much growing up, so I will not buy anything I will not use. That being said, all the razors I own will still be working fine in 60 years.

On edit: just to clarify, the only modern razor I have is an EJ89L. I have a Super Speed made in 74 (great shaver), and a 1912 Ever Ready in the mail. I have no doubt that the 1912 will still be working in 2112.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Sounds....automated....

I like to think that some things won't change. When we start being so lazy as to not even bathe ourselves without our automatic doo-dads, that's the point where everyone ends up like the people in Wall-E: overweight and reliant on technology, buzzin' around on little lazy hover chairs. Blech...

We are already pretty damn close to that point.

Not collecting for the future, but the razors that I have will just past on to my Grandson. He will be very lucky to get my lot and God knows he'll need my guidance, he's only four and living in a house full of women (Hopefully that may change). But you all have given me the idea that maybe I should buy a new razor and put it to one side so he has something to use while I'm still around.

Regards,
BarrysCool
---------------------------------------
ɹǝpun-uʍop puɐl ʇɐǝɹƃ ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ - looɔsʎɹɹɐq

I've had that very thought. There's that 20/20 hindsight kicking in a little too late!

Probably would be much cheaper to collect new razors than to collect vintage.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Not collecting for the future, but the razors that I have will just past on to my Grandson. He will be very lucky to get my lot and God knows he'll need my guidance, he's only four and living in a house full of women (Hopefully that may change). But you all have given me the idea that maybe I should buy a new razor and put it to one side so he has something to use while I'm still around.

Regards,
BarrysCool
---------------------------------------
ɹǝpun-uʍop puɐl ʇɐǝɹƃ ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ - looɔsʎɹɹɐq

I have two- one is 10, the other 9 months (already standing on his own). Anyway, their fathers use goo and disposables. I will teach them right.

Top Bottom