What's new

Like a Spyderco Gunting...

I always regret not buying the Gunting when Spyderco was making it. By the time I made up my mind, it was gone. Now, I don't feel like paying a fortune on eBay for one, or buying a similar blade from an unknown company. What about Spyderco? Is there something out there that is kind of like the Gunting in terms of size, shape, opening, etc.? I'm not interested in anything like a Karambit. Any ideas?

Screw the folders, get a fixed blade. And go full length :D

http://www.traditionalfilipinoweapons.com/Sandata.html

Best southeast asian weaponry on the market today. I took the Visayan Barong to your everyday average Menards steel door. The blade repeatedly punched right through the thing with no damage to the tip. It cut 2-3 inches into the edge of the door on the slash, despite the fact that's where the door steel is strongest and doubled up. I have a feeling that friction on the foam core slowed the blade down more than the metal.

That chewed up the edge a bit, but my DMT got most of the knicks out. Yes they're a bit pricey but worth every penny. After the door incident, I'm convinced that you'd have to engage in true, full-on armored combat with edge-to-edge contact if you want to break these things. I routinely use mine trim bushes and trees back.

Screw the folders, get a fixed blade. And go full length :D

http://www.traditionalfilipinoweapons.com/Sandata.html

Best southeast asian weaponry on the market today. I took the Visayan Barong to your everyday average Menards steel door. The blade repeatedly punched right through the thing with no damage to the tip. It cut 2-3 inches into the edge of the door on the slash, despite the fact that's where the door steel is strongest and doubled up. I have a feeling that friction on the foam core slowed the blade down more than the metal.

That chewed up the edge a bit, but my DMT got most of the knicks out. Yes they're a bit pricey but worth every penny. After the door incident, I'm convinced that you'd have to engage in true, full-on armored combat with edge-to-edge contact if you want to break these things. I routinely use mine trim bushes and trees back.

That Barong is a beautiful blade. I actually have a number of blades like this that I bought many years ago. All of mine are from Luzon. They are unbelievably durable and effective. I'd still like to get a little folder--less that I need it than I just want one.

What was it that got you to take the Barong to your door?

Last edited:
Top Bottom