What's new

Gem Damaskeene

Wow, Chris, so glad you're enjoying it! And thanks for the kind words. I truly enjoy hooking folks up with new-old razors. Spreading happiness, one BST at a time! I think it's my mission in life. Enjoy that Damaskeene; it is a particularly nice one!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Fella's I'm glad to have helped in a very small way, but I truly don't deserve any credit. Guys way before me were singing their praises, that's who deserves the credit. I just have a tendency to blab a lot on here about them.

We understand- you have to warm up your fingers after all those cold water shaves :lol: Seriously, your advocacy of single edge shaving led me to buy an Ever Ready 1912- can't wait to give it a spin (maybe even with cold water, in your honor:001_smile)

I like all of the normal 1912's, all three Micromatics, the 1914 and the 1924 Ever-Ready's a lot, and to a lesser degree, the later Heavy Flat Top, Feather Weight and the Contour models. But with it's slightly rounded head and the round knurled handle I think the Damaskeene is the best overall, at least for me.

YMMV and void in states where it's prohibited by law.

Hoosier...you seem to be B&B's resident expert on SE's. I know personally, it was a lot of your comments that got me involved in SE's, especially Gems and injectors. I have a question....I know you have many SE's, but what are the razors that are in your rotation the most? And..do you ever use DE's?

Hoosier...you seem to be B&B's resident expert on SE's. I know personally, it was a lot of your comments that got me involved in SE's, especially Gems and injectors. I have a question....I know you have many SE's, but what are the razors that are in your rotation the most? And..do you ever use DE's?
I also will say that his help and info have been priceless for me.

Yes, I still use DE's occasionally, mainly because I have quite a few blades to use up, and I still like to use the older cart sytems like the Wilkinson Bonded, Trac II, Atra and Sensor as well. I'll usually go several weeks using an SE, then I'll switch to something different for a week, then back to the SE's.

$IMG_1665.JPG$IMG_1666.JPG$IMG_1667.JPG
Finally had a chance to use my new old Damaskeene I recently picked up on eBay for $10.00, + $3.50 shipping. Loaded it up with a Gem blade, lathered on some Williams, and Wow! Super smooth, and BBS shave with very little touchup required. I really expected it to shave pretty much like my Gem Junior, and was surprised as how smooth the razor glided across the whiskers. After doing a little research, it appears the geometry on the Damaskeene razor is a little different than the standard 1912 and Gem Junior. This is definitely going to be in my rotation from now on!
There are many of these for sale on a regular basis. I was lucky enough to pick one up in excellent condition. The photos show scratches on the top that are barely discernible with the naked eye, but in the photo stand out. The razor is silver in color, not gold.

Last edited:
I have several Se's (Jr. 1912, Ever-Ready, MMTO), but my Damaskeene is my favourite.

Great to shave my face and head.

My collection of DE's are having more and more shelf life....

The SE GEM's, EverReady's, Schick Injectors, and the EverSharp Hydro Magic Injector's are all great razors, and provide me with the best shaves for me.
Yes they did get it right on all of those designs.
For the entire month of September, I used only one razor: 1914 EverReady / (2) GEM/Personna Blades / ARKO Stick, no cuts, no nicks, no weepers, no problem.

This kind of razor is one of the best in the world. Depending on the type of skin and beards depends as work.
What is clear is that it is among the best and for you, sir, is the best ... for now.

Gentlemen, I am ready to make my first foray into shaving with an antique razor, and from reading various topics on this forum, I understand that shaving with a razor from one's birth year brings much satisfaction to some guys. Being born in 1968, I haven't found any razors that suit my fancy appearance wise, so I am interested in getting a razor from my Daddy's birth year, 1924. Talk of the Everready 1924 SE razor has piqued my interest. Can someone post a pic of one so that I would know what to look for? My father and I were very close, and it would mean a great deal to me to find one of these. Does anyone know where I might be able to get one? Were they made by Gem?

Top Bottom