What's new

Cleaning Question

I have been told to use some toothpaste to clean my razor. Is there a certain type to use or will any type work?

How bad is is dirty wise? I usually just scrub my razors with an old toothbrush under warm water. Then a quick wipe down with a rag takes anything left off.
Scrubbing Bubbles works well for soap scum. For toothpaste I wouldn't use a gel type for cleaning. I would think a regular paste would work better.

Here is what it looks like. I have used scrubbing bubbles and warm soapy water with an old sonicare toothbrush.

Toothpaste can be OK, but be aware it is abrasive. I generally soak the razor in soapy water, then use a soft toothbrush or an old boar bristle brush to clean up the gunk. Some guys use metal polish of various kinds. I haven't because I don't think it will last.

Polishing will help some, but plate loss is plate loss: the finish is gone. I would clean it and not polish.

You can polish the base metal to a high finish, since it should be brass. You can have this replated and feel secure that the vintage/historic argument does not apply.

Phil

I've used toothpaste on just about any metal, and it works just fine. I've never had a problem with the abrasive nature of the paste, it shines metal very nicely, and used with an old toothbrush its great for getting any gunk out. :thumbup1:

One of the ways I've done it is with some mild (very non-abrasive) metal polish.

Take that sonicare (I have one and use one for this too), smear on some metal polish, scrub away with the sonicare and then wipe it all down with an old t-shirt. I've found this method works very well for me.

Top Bottom