What's new

Historical Military Records unlocked

Good Morning Gentlemen,

Thinking there may be a few genealogy buffs here....Ancestry.com has been gathering historical military records over the last year and they are now posted on their site.

Typically they have generic information open to anyone who wants to search Marriage records, births, deaths......but the really good information is locked and you must join to have access to these other records, but because this is Memorial Day weekend and in Honour of our Military Men and Women, this information is OPEN to ANYONE thru JUNE 6th....and then will be locked.

The records go back to the Revolutionary War; I heard as far back as Jamestown....but I couldn't find that. If you check out the site www.ancestry.com look under the "Military Collection" and you'll find the listings there. They include old news reels, photographs, paintings, enlistment records as far back as the 1700's up thru WWII, and even a few diaries from privates to officers. All very interesting if you like that kind of thing.

Kind Regards, Colleen

Rather interesting. Found my Grandfathers (b.1891) draft registration for WWI. And my dad's service records for WWII. No mention of my VietNam service, tho. A lot of nostolgia there. It's a huge respository that really displays the millions of folks who've answered the call.

-- John Gehman

This is a great resource. I found my late father in law's induction records a few days ago.

Rather interesting. Found my Grandfathers (b.1891) draft registration for WWI. And my dad's service records for WWII. No mention of my VietNam service, tho. A lot of nostolgia there. It's a huge respository that really displays the millions of folks who've answered the call.

-- John Gehman

Hey There! I thought perhaps a few might find this interesting. I' really enjoy History and I'm always intrigued with the study of genealogy. I come from a line of Military folks on both sides of my Family, its just kinda cool to look up your Grandfather or Great Grandfather's name and see it listed.

I found the some of the journals to be really interesting too !!!!

Colleen

I found one of my great grandfather's (b. 1899) WWI draft registration. I did not find either of my grandfathers' WWII service, but I surmise that's because they were in the Navy, and Naval records for WWII aren't present, other than service on carriers, which neither were on.

US-only, I imagine? My great-grandfather, I'm told, fought for Italy in Ethiopia (the 1895-96 war, not the 1935-36 war). I don't have much info for him other than his name, his birth, marriage, and death dates, and his occupations (tavern keeper at date of marriage; foreman of a pasta factory at death). Having military info would be neat, but I haven't made any attempts to dig that up yet.

I saw that bit of news this morning. I'll be digging through there in the coming days, my relatives go all the back to the Revolutionary War in this country.

I saw that bit of news this morning. I'll be digging through there in the coming days, my relatives go all way the back to the Revolutionary War in this country.

Hmmm... I somehow managed to perform another double post instead of an edit.

Top Bottom