What's new

Toy or Serious Brush: A Consideration of the Wee Scot

I placed an order for one based on all the hype and reviews as well as the excellent price WCS has on it but ended up canceling the order because other than the novelty of it, it really had no place with my other six brushes (which is about three too many already!). I like a smaller brush with a 20-22 mm knot but I didn't think the Wee Scot would be something I could successfully use unless it was strictly for face lathering. I couldn't see trying to make a bowl lather with it.

You might want to keep an eye out on the BST for one - I picked one up on there I think for about 25 bucks. I don't use it in my daily rotation but really like it for travel. I do some weekend trips and space can be tight. For $25, I think it is worthwhile for me. And if it's lost I'm not out $50 for a larger brush.

I use it to bowl lather most times and haven't had many problems with it from that aspect.

I just got a Wee Scot last week, and it's a HUGE improvement over the Tweezerman I started with. I intend to use the Scot mainly as a travel brush, and found an Airborne container fits pretty well with easy modifications.

Attachments

• $IMAG0492.jpg
    $IMAG0492.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 231
Wow i have lately been buying brushes from BST and that SBAD is getting bad, i must have over 10 Brushes already, A few Shavemacs, Muhle, AOS Travel, and a few others, but that little Wee Scot is calling My name :eek:)

I guess having a little Wee Wee isnt bad after all "Head Help Up High' LOL.

Nice Review OP Thanks.

Last edited:
I was considering a Wee Scot, I did not realise it was so small, I really like the size, Cheers for the pics and reviews

mswofford

Rest in Peace
The Simpson Wee Scot is my "gateway" Simpson and only badger. I have been using it for a few months in regular rotation, not "reaching for it occasionally". I have hard water and it works just fine either bowl or face lathering with BBP or Tabac. Would I buy another Simpson in best hair? Yes.

That little bugger packs a punch. My only Simpson. I enjoy it very much both for travel and regular use face lathering creams.
+1 ... I wish people would stop thinking of it as just a travel brush. It can hold its own against any other brush in my shave den.

Received my Wee Scot and Berkeley 46 yesterday. On the break in lathers, the Wee Scot left my jaw dropped to the floor, it lathers like nothing else I have. I cannot wait to use it more. It will primarily be my travel brush most likely.
proxy.php

proxy.php

I have to say, that upon receipt of the Wee Scot, my jaw didn't drop and I was completely able to believe my eyes ;) It *is* a very small brush, that's indisputable, however the bristle area once it has been lathered a few times is quite in line with what is needed for face lathering a medium sized (or smaller) male face and the handle is totally OK in my hand (glove size medium or large depending on brand).

As many have mentioned before, the lathering is excellent, especially considering the fact that it is *rather* wee... also the bristles are a bit more prickly than my Colonel or Special (both in "Best Badger")... the hair in the Wee Scot is most certainly *not* the same as the others, however it is noticeably springier, almost the same in both softness and springiness as my Two Band brushes, which is really ideal for this small knot, since if it was as floppy/soft as the Special it would be almost useless when wet!

As far as a comparison with the Omega miniature brushes, it's most definitely softer (and less stinky!) than the boar/badger "Mixed Mighty Midget" and the handle is easier to keep a grip on, since the Omega is all soft curves, while the Scots handle has subtle but functional edges to grip. I can't comment on the Scot vs. Omega 599 comparison as I have not used the Silvertip variant, but if the Omega lacks spring, then it would pretty much be relegated to use with creams only IMO, while the Wee Scot is absolutely up to the task of loading hard or soft soaps!

So far my rating is; 98% tool, 2% novelty, 0% toy. This brush was purchased with travel in mind, but I am certain it will be at least an occasional visitor to the regular rotation (which is dominated by my home-made lignum vitae handled brush using an TGN 20mm finest fan knot at 45mm loft and a New Forest 1901)... it will certainly be used more than either the Colonel or Special!

Well here goes from a newbie.
I got one of these Wee Scot brushes for Christmas. I only have a rather large (and cheap) boar brush to compare it with.
In my opinion it provides a totally different lather experience, its more controlled, and, whilst not supplying a really thick lather in comparison to the boar brush, it gives enough (using Arko puck) for a comfortable shave, and, provided I squeeze between my fingers to extract the last little bit, enough for a 3 pass shave. The leaflet with it says I must use "paint brush" strokes rather than swirling around so as not to damage the hairs, where as my boar brush, well even if it does some damage I'm not bothered as it was about a third of the price, a good old vigorous lather up is something I quite enjoy, and it does take less time than the Simpson brush.
To conclude, it won't just get used for travel, but it will be rotated with the boar brush, depending really if I feel the need for a good scrubbing or a little pasting hehe :laugh:
Dan

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
I cannot imagine life without my Simpson's Wee Scot. It is the only badger in my brush rotation and allows for change of pace. One day I may consider a larger badger (I gave away my other badgers in 2014).

I use the Wee Scot as both my daily shaving brush (with straights/kamisori) and, to my mind, quite naturally, as my 'travel' (carried in a converted medication/Vitamin C tube) shaving brush (with a shavette/barberette or Merkur 933CL DE travel razor) with a shaving soap stick (Palmolive) or cream, using face lathering (lends itself to the paint brush stroke and avoids the (Simpsons-warned) hair-damaging circular stroke). It has just the right amount of spine and has a soft feel to the bristle ends. For a daily shave, it delivers a good useful layer of lather to soften the we-hairs-who-are-about-to-be-shaved-salute-you where required, next to the skin, avoiding the thicker, and unnecessary (for a daily shave) layer of lather I have found to be produced by larger brushes. As a 'curio' shaving brush (being the smallest shaving brush in production today?), perhaps only the same-stable Simpsons Major M1 comes close with a screw-threaded open travel case, albeit heavier (for a travel brush, if a seasoned gram-counter wanting a decent shave at the top of Everest) at 82g versus 19g for the Wee Scot?

Top Bottom