What's new

Gillette Super Silver Stainless Blades

Does anyone know about these? Are they the same blades? They appear to be grey market re-brands as well as the blister pack doesn't say Gillette anywhere on it.

Attachments

• $$_57-1.JPG
    $$_57-1.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 110
The 'rebrands' I've opened have all been Gillette super Silver inside, and they've all said super Silver on the dispenser, which is a good indicator

Does anyone know about these? Are they the same blades? They appear to be grey market re-brands as well as the blister pack doesn't say Gillette anywhere on it.

I'm on day 6 of shaving with one of these exact blades. I never go more than 3-4 shaves with a modern blade and today was the first day that I felt like it might be dulling a little. I still got a great shave with it in my 30's NEW LC. I wouldn't say it's my favorite blade ever but I've been liking it more and more every day and I think it might be deceptively good. I also like the longevity. I've pushed other blades to 5 or 6 shaves but they weren't comfortable and the 6th shave with this blade was still quite nice. I could see them becoming one of my favorites. When this one finally gives up, I'll load up one of my regular blades and see how it feels.

I picked these Gillette Super Silvers on eBay. From what I can decipher from reading through various posts is that these are grey market packaging. The S 2 marking dates this blade to 1972 (as per mr-razor)

It is interesting to note the 10 individually wrapped blades with no dispenser within the blister pack.

Another interesting observation is the "New Super Silver" designation on the blade.

I intend to shave with this blade during my next session and I expect similar results I have experienced with the Super Stainless Spoilers.

Any further information regarding this version of Super Silvers is appreciated.

$20140924_171443.jpg$20140924_171524.jpg$20140924_171647.jpg$20140924_171732.jpg

http://news.gillette.com/about/timeline

IMO these are merely the Super Stainless aka "Spoiler" or a Platinum Plus, made in England. Some have said these were merely shipped back to the USA and repackaged by Kmart for example. Nonetheless, the "Spoiler" is one Helluva blade. I love 'em.

Last edited:
The Gillette Super Silver as well as the Super Stainless Blades have intrigued me to a certain degree, especially the timeline and marketing strategy by Gillette as time moved on. From an observation standpoint, I have recently acquired some Super Silver Blades and wanted to point out some characteristics I discerned. The blades pictured are manufactured in chronological order:

$20140925_150228.jpg$20140925_150135.jpgView attachment 500001View attachment 500002$20140907_185052.jpg

The arrow markings are different on each blade. Does this represent anything in particular by Gillette as to the version of blade?

I am curious to know if there is any firm information that the "New" Super Silver marking on the blade is the precursor to the Super Silver Platinum Plus blade? I say this because the blade wrapper states "Platinum Hardened Edges". At some point, Gillette goes all in with "Platinum Plus" on both the outer wrapper and the blade.

I find it interesting how the marketing strategies played out between Gillette, Wilkinson Sword, Personna and Schick as well as other brands during this heyday of double edge blades.

Last edited:
Top Bottom