What's new

Head Shaving

Feeling daring tonight, I shaved my head with a Japanese straight. It was going well until one of the spikes caught me not paying attention. Nonetheless, one I mute those spikes this may be my go to blade for head shaving.

*Those of you who are purists will be relieved to know I used the right side of the blade the entire shave.

Henry,

Did you just decide to shave your head or have you been shaving it for some time?

Do you use a balm afterward?

Was this your first time with a straight?

Which soap did you use?

Must be the day for it... I tried shaving my head with a straight for the first time this morning! Way too much tugging and I didn't feel comfortable at all shaving blindly (back of my head) with the straight, so I finished with my Mach3 as usual. I'll try again some weekend...

Funny because I was considering giving this a go but after several tens of seconds I thought better of it and used my Atra as usual :lol:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Pictures or it never happened! :biggrin:

Well I'm only 29, but have a rapid receding hair line since high school and thinning in the back that I've been using Rogaine for years to control.

Eventually I'll be throwing in the towel and shaving my head. Straight all the way when the time comes.

Henry,

Did you just decide to shave your head or have you been shaving it for some time?

Do you use a balm afterward?

Was this your first time with a straight?

Which soap did you use?

I've been shaving my head for quite some time; I have been using a straight for years.

I used AOS sandalwood.

All things considered, it was a success. I think the Japanese razor may have made it easier though there was more pulling than I anticipated.

Balm: AOS Sandalwood.

Great to see you took the plunge!

A Japanese sounds like the perfect razor!

I've found that a stiffer grind & a smaller blade, like 4 or 5/8 works the best. And a Japanese fits that perfectly, also the scales sometimes comes in the way when head-shaving, so you might just have found the perfect razor.

As for pulling, there is a little, but when you get the angles right, it will mostly disappear. A very sharp blade is also benficial.
Like stropping on 0.25µ diamond sharp.
The scalp isn't so sensitive as the face either, so sharpness can go before smoothness, at least on my head.

Another thing is that for some reason the head hairs seems to dull a razor far faster then the beard.

I only have a horse-shoe left of flimsy, blond hair, but it still dulls my razor considerably more then my facial hair.
I touch-up every other shave to get the best performance.

Another thing is that for some reason the head hairs seems to dull a razor far faster then the beard.

I only have a horse-shoe left of flimsy, blond hair, but it still dulls my razor considerably more then my facial hair.

I've noticed this as well. I have a friend who had a mohawk for a while. I did touch-ups of his 'hawk for him using a straight razor, and I always had to hone the razor afterwards. I think now that I have better technique I could just touch up the razor. It would still be hard on the razor's edge, though.

Great to see you took the plunge!

A Japanese sounds like the perfect razor!

I've found that a stiffer grind & a smaller blade, like 4 or 5/8 works the best. And a Japanese fits that perfectly, also the scales sometimes comes in the way when head-shaving, so you might just have found the perfect razor.

As for pulling, there is a little, but when you get the angles right, it will mostly disappear. A very sharp blade is also benficial.
Like stropping on 0.25µ diamond sharp.
The scalp isn't so sensitive as the face either, so sharpness can go before smoothness, at least on my head.

The Japanese straight does appear well suited for the job. It has many of the attributes you recommend. A stiff grind and capable of an exceedingly sharp edge. I also found that the asymmetrical grind facilitated shaving those areas I couldn't see - it is easy to keep the correct angle by feel alone.

Top Bottom