What's new

Simpson 58, One Month Old

What an amazing brush! It holds loads of water, has enough stiffness to work well with soaps, it turns a soap stick run over my face into gobs of lather, and look at that bloom!

I have a Wee Scot, 58, and a vintage butterscotch KH2. What do I need next?

What do I need next?

Nothing. What you want is another story. You've got some badger brushes, why not try a boar brush, horse hair brush, or synthetic for something different? Also consider trying different brands like H.L. Thater, Kent, Plisson, Semogue, Omega, Vulfix (I know they make Simpson brushes), Rooney, Morris and Forndran, or Shavemac too name the ones off the top of my head. You could also go vintage brush hunting, where the thrill of the hunt and the wanting of the brush are perhaps more thrilling than having the brush.

Whatever you do, please keep us informed. :thumbup:

Last edited:
You could also go vintage brush hunting, where the thrill of the hunt and the wanting of the brush are perhaps more thrilling than having the brush.

Now there is an idea! Do nice vintage brushes ever come up on eBay?:laugh:

P

Pjotr

Now there is an idea! Do nice vintage brushes ever come up on eBay?:laugh:

All the time. They also come up here on B/S/T. You can also try etsy but they've gone all expensive lately.

Yeah, and you should try a boar brush. If you don't want to fork out too much initially just get hold of a cheapo drugstore boar or a bottom of the range Omega. I think they're incredible value for money and if you like them start hunting for ones with nicer handles like Semoque. In my experience, the rough cheapies after a month or so of use become a lot softer and great brushes. Beware, there's generally a bit of boar funk to get round but that's part of the fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, badgers have always been by far the worse offenders for me, funk wise.

I'd say skip the drugstore boar. If you want a boar, buy a Semogue or Omega. The drugstore (VDH and BurmaShave) brushes really don't give you any idea of what a quality boar will be like.

Top Bottom