What's new

What is the best DE Safety Razor for a beginner?

YMMV on this, of course, but I myself found the Super Speed to be unfriendly to my face. I used it for a long time, working on my technique, then trying different blades, different creams and soaps, etc. Things got better, but not really very good. Finally I tried a Fat Boy. Much better results - still not great, but better enough that I realized the choice of razor did make a difference. Finally I tried a Slim and I started to get really good results. Now I use a Super Adjustable and love it.

To be fair, I may go back to a SS and see how I feel about it now. But I used it for long enough that I think I probably did get used to it, and simply didn't like it very much.

My point is three-fold, I think:

1) The choice of razor does matter. Not as much as other factors (blade, prep, technique, etc), but it matters. So keep in mind that you will probably ultimately want to try different razors.

2) Since razors needn't be prohibitively expensive, it's a joyous adventure to try different ones.

3) This is important, I think: a lot of people steer beginners away from the adjustables because adjusting the razor introduces too many variables. While that is true, I suspect many people could pretty easily leave it on one setting. And then you get to try that razor. Each kind of razor is unique, after all, and a Slim (for example) might simply be better for your face than a Super Speed.

As ever, YMMV. But the thing to do is take and of the very good advice here, jump in, just start, and see where it leads you. You really can't know in advance.

Enjoy the journey!

I'm kinda tired of rules and people telling other people what to do but since I'm a beginner under a year.. I say BUY NEW. Because I don't think you know how to disinfect a razor. I sure didn't. I don't want you getting a disease. Really surprised no one said how clean a used razor- It goes something like this way: Handsoap/toothbrush/warm water scrub, into Barbicide, Scrubbing Bubbles. You can also dip your razor in Isopropel alcohol. You can use a hair dryer to dry your razor faster. You can use Coke on light rust and a toothpick on all the crevices. Flare tips like the Red Tip have old shaving cream in the grooves. You can get that out real easily w/ a toothpick under warm water. Don't listen to the people that say stick to one razor for howeverlong. THAT IS BORING BS!!!! Try as many as you can and do what you want. No one is an expert at shaving. Being an expert or professional is all a made up thing no matter how many years or accomplishments. It's all an opinion and day-to-day.

I was always aiming for baby smooth shaves but getting a lot of irritation and have finally realized that shaving more often and not trying to get as close works better than trying to get baby butt smooth. All baby butt smooth does is create irritation and gives you cuts no matter how much care and time you put into your shave. With baby butt smooth for the next 12 hours my face always hurts. Not even a chick cares if your face is really smooth and you feel good so I suggest a good "middle of the road and mild shave" over "super smooth and worrying too much". No one looking at your face is gonna know or care how great your shave is that day.

Since this thread has been resurrected, I will add my two cents for the sake of posterity.

I would recommend buying a new razor. Either a Merkur 34x or an Edwin Jagger 89x would be a good choice as they are both moderate razors. Knowing what I know now, after seven years of DE shaving, I would also recommend staying with whatever lather you are currently using while learning how to use the DE razor. The wonderful world of soaps, creams, mugs, brushes and vintage razors can wait until you are up to speed.

Thanks,
Mike

Only speaking from experience here...

Merkur HD is the perfect beginner razor. Relative cheap. New. Nice middle of the road aggressiveness to give newbies a taste of the good stuff without butchering faces. Plus, it is easy to sell on BST (as are most razors).

It is what I started with and it never let me down.

Get yourself a Slim and you will never have to Acquire another Razor, it can be mild or Aggressive depending on setting and blade used / Angle.. Slim, Slim, Slim all the way :001_smile

Surprised nobody suggested the LORD L6 (LP1822L) at less than $12 ...

I like the suggestions for vintage: Tech, Super Speed ... for new; EJ DE89, mild Merkur

Shoot, reading this thread makes me want to go back and try my Tech and a few other first used razors ... gee, so many razors so little facial hair ... AIN'T THIS FUN GUYS! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Do you think that after 8 months he finally bought one and no longer needs someone to suggest a shaver? Heck, the guy hasn't posted in 6 months.

Merkur HD. Small and easy to handle. Get your technique down as this may take a few weeks. I started with that and then purchased a Gilette Slim Adjustable. Keep it simple in the beginning. Proraso and Merkur. It was a great start for me and believe me there is a good and worthwhile learning curve on this.

Top Bottom