What's new

What is the best DE Safety Razor for a beginner?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
A 40's Gillette Superspeed ought to settle it for you. Beginner, veteren, doesn't matter, it is my favorite. Check the B/S/T forum.

I am going to suggest a Gillette Fatboy or Slim. Well made, adjustable to suit your preference, cheaper then similar new razors and easy to find around these parts. With the right blade, you can't go wrong.

I second the 40's Superspeed, actually aside from maybe the Red Tip any of the Superspeeds wouldn't be a bad choice. The Adjustables (Fat Boy, Slim, Super Adjustable) are great if you can keep from "tinkering" with aggressiveness until you get you technique down. I think most people can't, I know I couldn't. If you refuse to go vintage then either an EJ or a Merkur 33 or 34.

All good choices so far.

I think the Flare Tip SS would be a good choice as well. I started with a Merkur 38C for what it's worth.

Super Speed....doesn't really matter what year. Mild and forgiving - can't go wrong. Don't start fooling around with adjustables as a newbie. Too many variables :)

Take any modern or vintage DE razor that doesn't have a reputation for being super aggressive. No slants or Barbasols and you're probably OK.

I'd suggest a vintage Gillette Tech or Super Speed, as they can be had in decent shape for not much money. If you must have modern, Merkur is highly thought of, and there's a Lord three piece that gets good reviews, and it's about ten bucks.

Anyway, take whatever razor you buy, but it away, and watch all the Mantic instructional videos. Watch them a few times, and then spend a few days building lather with whatever soap or cream you go with, and continue to shave with your current razor (assuming it's not electric). Then bust out your new safety razor and away you go.

That's what I'd do if I was starting over.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Take any modern or vintage DE razor that doesn't have a reputation for being super aggressive. No slants or Barbasols and you're probably OK.

I'd suggest a vintage Gillette Tech or Super Speed, as they can be had in decent shape for not much money. If you must have modern, Merkur is highly thought of, and there's a Lord three piece that gets good reviews, and it's about ten bucks.

Anyway, take whatever razor you buy, but it away, and watch all the Mantic instructional videos. Watch them a few times, and then spend a few days building lather with whatever soap or cream you go with, and continue to shave with your current razor (assuming it's not electric). Then bust out your new safety razor and away you go.

That's what I'd do if I was starting over.

This alone will greatly improve your whole shaving experience.

Being as I am someone who has been shaving with a DE for less than a year, I am also still in the beginner stages of the whole thing that is wet-shaving. In my limited experience, I seem to have found the razor that works for me, and that is the Merkur 38M (It is the Merkur 38C, a very popular razor, with a matte finish). I find it very easy to achieve the proper angle, it is heavy, which I like because the weight allows me to let the razor do all of the work, and I don't have to think as hard about not using any pressure. It would be a good idea to look into the 38C, as well as the other razors that have been recommended, and I am sure that you will find a nice starting point.

Good luck with your future DE endeavors! :biggrin1:

I'm on day 3 with my Gillette Tech. It's very mild, almost to the point where it takes some work to burn the skin or get a BBS. I'd highly recommend it.

Schick Krona or a Gillette Knack(there are later variants) - light shavers, long handle, TTO operation, and low cost. Use standard inexpensive DE blades - they're out there:thumbup1:

gillette tech. super mild and can still provide a damn close shave. feather in a tech has yielded my closet shave yet. i think i might even like the tech more than my red tip:001_rolle

What's your hair type? Normal or coarse? Straight or curly? With average type facial hair I'd think a superspeed or 89L would do the trick and you could get your technique down then mess around. Coarser or thicker hair and you'd be better off with something more aggressive like a slant or a slim that you could dial up.

Top Bottom