What's new

Semogue 2000 too big?

My Semogue 2000 just feels too big for me.

I face lather exclusively, and my Semogue 1305 feels just right.

When I took a pic of the two brushes side by side, I was amazed to see how similar in size they were. The 2000 feels about twice as big on my face.

The more brushes I have, the more I realize how much I prefer smaller brushes.

It looks to have a touch more loft. Are the bristles softer (more flexible?)? That could account for the larger face feel.

Ken

Beautiful brush! I like the larger higher lofted boars. I've got an Omega 31025 that I really like for face lathering.

A Turkish Horse Hair next to a Semogue 1250 which has a total height of 108mm or 4.25 inches. I estimated the loft ~67-70 and knot size in the area of 28-30, Enjoy; BTW the bowl is ~5 1/2" diameter, top down picture was before first lather

Attachments

• $IMG_1892.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 195
  • $IMG_1897.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 194
  • $IMG_1904.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
My Semogue 2000 just feels too big for me.

I face lather exclusively, and my Semogue 1305 feels just right.

You're right. The 2000 is too big for face lather. I enjoy using the 2000 bowl lathering, it makes great lather, but building lather on the face should be awkward.

I will find out tomorrow if the Semogue 2000 is to large to face lather, just got mine today! :w00t:

It is definitely a beast.

It will take a while to fully bloom. When it does it will be too big and soft to face lather. I like to bowl lather and mine is absolutely superb for that.

It's my Sunday brush. My 2000 with P.160, a great cup of coffee and the Times and I'm good to go for another week.

I have the same two. IMO the 1305 is the better all rounder. You can face lather with the 2000 if you want, but it's a bit unwieldy and floppy. I only use it if I am having a 3 or 4 pass shave and i'm bowl lathering.

Must agree. I too prefer smaller chubbier brushes. I go by the total height when looking to buy. I prefer to stay under 100mm. So far the biggest I have is 97mm, the smallest is 94mm.

I have the an Omega that is similar in size. I first thought it too large but now I just build a lather in my palm for 20 seconds first. Then it's ready to do a bit of face work and I find the longer bristles to be quite comfortable. I normally use a much smaller badger with completely opposite qualities which I like a bit more but I do like the contrast and changing up the feel sometimes.

Well I must say it is a beast! I loaded it up with AOS Sandalwood soap, had to choke up a little on the bristles at first but once it got going it was pretty nice.

Top Bottom