What's new

Vulfix/Simpson?

Forgive me if this is common knowledge, I'm new to this.

I just last week ordered a Vulfix 660 Super, my first badger brush. I chose it because I read such great reviews of the brand. Now I'm reading the forums and seeing Vulfix and Simpson used almost interchangeably. On the company website though, even in company history, there is no mention of Simpson. I read somewhere, after a google search, that Vulfix had acquired the Simpson brand. Are they one and the same? Is the Simpson line superior to the Vulfix I ordered?

Curious...

Alexander Simpson started a shaving brush company in 1919. Gary Young, a member on these boards, is a relative of Alexander Simpson. The Simpson/Young family owned the Simpson Shaving Brush Company until about 1990, when it was sold to David Carter and Francis Woodhouse. In 2008, Carter and Woodhouse sold the Simpson brand to Vulfix. Vulfix now manufactures Vulfix and Simpson branded brushes by hand on the Isle of Man.

As far as Simpson-branded brushes being better than Vulfix-branded brushes, well that is up to the individual. Simpson brushes tend to be denser than Vulfix brushes, a trait some like. Simpson brushes are also made up of historical designs that are decades old.

Let us know how you like your new brush.

Forgive me if this is common knowledge, I'm new to this.

I just last week ordered a Vulfix 660 Super, my first badger brush. I chose it because I read such great reviews of the brand. Now I'm reading the forums and seeing Vulfix and Simpson used almost interchangeably. On the company website though, even in company history, there is no mention of Simpson. I read somewhere, after a google search, that Vulfix had acquired the Simpson brand. Are they one and the same? Is the Simpson line superior to the Vulfix I ordered?

Curious...

Last edited:
As far as Simpson-branded brushes being better than Vulfix-branded brushes, well that is up to the individual. Simpson brushes tend to be denser than Vulfix brushes, a trait some like. Simpson brushes are also made up of historical designs that are decades old.

They use the same hair on Vulfix brush and same handle material ?
The models are different of course but the material are the same I think .
I own a Vulfix brush but I love the Simpson design looks really sexy

Alexander Simpson started a shaving brush company in 1919. Gary Young, a member on these boards, is a relative of Alexander Simpson. The Simpson/Young family owned the Simpson Shaving Brush Company until about 1990, when it was sold to David Carter and Francis Woodhouse. In 2008, Carter and Woodhouse sold the Simpson brand to Vulfix. Vulfix now manufactures Vulfix and Simpson branded brushes by hand on the Isle of Man.

Let us know how you like your new brush.

For the record, Uncle Alex made brushes before 1919 but set up Simpson Brushes in that year.

Among my brushes i have 2 vulfixes and 2 Simpsons. I honestly like the vulfix handles better, but the Simpsons seem denser but also seem to cost at least 2x as much for comparable, but different.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I would compare it to GM. Chevy, GMC, etc fall under them. Yet they are all their own entity so to speak. Yes Vulfix does own and produce the Simpson bran now, but they tend to keep marketing etc on a seperate level.

Hmmm....

The wife has already given me a hard time about the money I've spent on shaving gear. I don' think I can get away with spending any more right now, but some day I may have to have a Simpson brush as well. :sneaky2:

Hmmm....

The wife has already given me a hard time about the money I've spent on shaving gear. I don' think I can get away with spending any more right now, but some day I may have to have a Simpson brush as well. :sneaky2:

You are not along my friend , but in thats ocasion is better to ask forgiveness than permission :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Top Bottom