Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Vulfix/Simpson?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    72

    Default Vulfix/Simpson?

    Forgive me if this is common knowledge, I'm new to this.

    I just last week ordered a Vulfix 660 Super, my first badger brush. I chose it because I read such great reviews of the brand. Now I'm reading the forums and seeing Vulfix and Simpson used almost interchangeably. On the company website though, even in company history, there is no mention of Simpson. I read somewhere, after a google search, that Vulfix had acquired the Simpson brand. Are they one and the same? Is the Simpson line superior to the Vulfix I ordered?

    Curious...

  2. Default

    Alexander Simpson started a shaving brush company in 1919. Gary Young, a member on these boards, is a relative of Alexander Simpson. The Simpson/Young family owned the Simpson Shaving Brush Company until about 1990, when it was sold to David Carter and Francis Woodhouse. In 2008, Carter and Woodhouse sold the Simpson brand to Vulfix. Vulfix now manufactures Vulfix and Simpson branded brushes by hand on the Isle of Man.

    As far as Simpson-branded brushes being better than Vulfix-branded brushes, well that is up to the individual. Simpson brushes tend to be denser than Vulfix brushes, a trait some like. Simpson brushes are also made up of historical designs that are decades old.

    Let us know how you like your new brush.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brance View Post
    Forgive me if this is common knowledge, I'm new to this.

    I just last week ordered a Vulfix 660 Super, my first badger brush. I chose it because I read such great reviews of the brand. Now I'm reading the forums and seeing Vulfix and Simpson used almost interchangeably. On the company website though, even in company history, there is no mention of Simpson. I read somewhere, after a google search, that Vulfix had acquired the Simpson brand. Are they one and the same? Is the Simpson line superior to the Vulfix I ordered?

    Curious...
    Last edited by altshaver; 04-09-2011 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Typo

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    488

    Default

    As far as Simpson-branded brushes being better than Vulfix-branded brushes, well that is up to the individual. Simpson brushes tend to be denser than Vulfix brushes, a trait some like. Simpson brushes are also made up of historical designs that are decades old.

    They use the same hair on Vulfix brush and same handle material ?
    The models are different of course but the material are the same I think .
    I own a Vulfix brush but I love the Simpson design looks really sexy

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by altshaver View Post
    Alexander Simpson started a shaving brush company in 1919. Gary Young, a member on these boards, is a relative of Alexander Simpson. The Simpson/Young family owned the Simpson Shaving Brush Company until about 1990, when it was sold to David Carter and Francis Woodhouse. In 2008, Carter and Woodhouse sold the Simpson brand to Vulfix. Vulfix now manufactures Vulfix and Simpson branded brushes by hand on the Isle of Man.

    As far as Simpson-branded brushes being better than Vulfix-branded brushes, well that is up to the individual. Simpson brushes tend to be denser than Vulfix brushes, a trait some like. Simpson brushes are also made up of historical designs that are decades old.

    Let us know how you like your new brush.
    For the record, Uncle Alex made brushes before 1919 but set up Simpson Brushes in that year.

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Young View Post
    For the record, Uncle Alex made brushes before 1919 but set up Simpson Brushes in that year.
    That's really interesting. Did he work for another company before starting his own business?

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by altshaver View Post
    That's really interesting. Did he work for another company before starting his own business?
    He did work briefly for another company but also ran another business before starting the brushworks in the East End of London.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    9,057
    Images
    2

    Default

    Among my brushes i have 2 vulfixes and 2 Simpsons. I honestly like the vulfix handles better, but the Simpsons seem denser but also seem to cost at least 2x as much for comparable, but different.
    --Jon. "Love me some 14s"

  8. #8

    Default

    I would compare it to GM. Chevy, GMC, etc fall under them. Yet they are all their own entity so to speak. Yes Vulfix does own and produce the Simpson bran now, but they tend to keep marketing etc on a seperate level.
    Veteran of the Great Irisch Moos Campaign of 2008-9
    Proud member of the Great Eagle Group Buy of 2010
    I Survived the Great Migration 06/2011
    Enjoyed the Forum Update 2013
    "Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence." Vince Lombardi

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    72
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Hmmm....

    The wife has already given me a hard time about the money I've spent on shaving gear. I don' think I can get away with spending any more right now, but some day I may have to have a Simpson brush as well.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brance View Post
    Hmmm....

    The wife has already given me a hard time about the money I've spent on shaving gear. I don' think I can get away with spending any more right now, but some day I may have to have a Simpson brush as well.
    You are not along my friend , but in thats ocasion is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Similar Threads

  1. Vulfix V's Simpson
    By duotone in forum Shaving Brushes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-25-2011, 09:59 AM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-04-2010, 04:23 PM
  3. For Trade:Pre-Vulfix Simpson Chubby Two best For Pre-Vulfix Simpson Chubby 1.
    By Nitrosnail in forum Shaving Mall - Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-29-2010, 02:23 AM
  4. Pre-Vulfix Simpson CB1 Best for $30???
    By VR6ofpain in forum Shaving Brushes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-30-2009, 08:06 AM
  5. FS: Vulfix-Simpson Ch2 Best
    By Mike R in forum Shaving Mall - Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-13-2009, 06:52 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.