What's new

Question about Aristocrat

I have a couple of Aristocrats and notice a difference, Camera is not working so no pics.

I do not know the proper terminology but on the ends where the doors hinge, there are two full "bars" on one razor, the other has a full bar what appears to be a split or half bar on the other end, like a Ranger Tech.

My question is, what is the signifance of the difference, and why would this razor have a different treatment on each end?

I do not know the proper terminology but on the ends where the doors hinge, there are two full "bars" on one razor, the other has a full bar what appears to be a split or half bar on the other end, like a Ranger Tech.

The razor's endcaps is what you're talking about. They were added to Gillette TTOs in or around 1946. Assuming that the finish on the lifting arms, which is what the endcaps would be covering, looks proper and not rough like endcaps were supposed to be there but fell off, the Aristocrat without them is from earlier than 1946 and the other is 1946 or later.

Last edited:
Some pics to help:

Without endcaps:
proxy.php

With endcaps:
proxy.php

The other one fell off.

This. The endcaps are just pieces of trim that are soldered on over top of the lifting arms to make the sides of the razor head look more finished. They can and do fall off, particularly if the razor has taken a fall.

I've noticed the aristocrats are particularly prone to this issue. Doesn't affect performance, purely aesthetic

The B&B Wiki page on Aristocrats has info and pictures that might help you date yours. Click on photos for larger sizes.

Thanks for the link. It looks like one of the 40's series razors.

There no markings to signify anything, other than faint stamping under center bar that says date on package.

I wonder if this one could have made it throught manufacturing process, having one end cap applied and the other missed. The end without the caps is smooth and shiney with finish as though it had never been soldered.

I wonder if this one could have made it through the manufacturing process, having one end cap applied and the other missed. The end without the caps is smooth and shiney with finish as though it had never been soldered.

that is unusual. have never seen an Aristocrat like that before. when the end caps have fallen off, it is usually a dull greeny/grey underneath.

marvelous shavers though; with or without end caps. :thumbup:

that is unusual. have never seen an Aristocrat like that before. when the end caps have fallen off, it is usually a dull greeny/grey underneath.

marvelous shavers though; with or without end caps. :thumbup:

I was just curious and will probably never have a good answer. Yes it is a marvelous shaver. I picked up two and gave one to my son, kept this one because it was a little different.

Top Bottom