What's new

keeping track of shave count on blade

I keep my razors in a rotating pipe holder approx 30 razors all with blades in them and no idea how many shaves on each blade as well as how long has the blade been exposed. I figured this is an unsafe practice so I've removed all the blades and keep one blade soaking in alcohol and loading each razor as I use it and return the blade to the alcohol after the shave.

Good idea. I use the same blade until it's dull. It might be used in two or three razors in that time. No alcohol, I just rinse and dry it.

I put a blade in a razor, use it three times and hen toss it. If I really want to use another blade or razor, I can load another razor..... but I prefer to wait till I am done with one blade...

Holy crap man, I throw my straights and DE's in a bathroom drawer. I haven't cut myself yet. I leave the "been shaved with" side up in the case of the DE's and use the blade until it is time to be replaced. If you have a 30 razor rotation, why not use the blade until it is ready to be replaced, then switch razors as well? Keep the others unloaded until you are ready to use them. Seems like a lot less trouble.

I generally load a blade in a razor and use it until the blade gets dull. Then I switch to another combination. But I always let the blade tell me when it is dull, so I never bother to count the shaves that I get out of a blade.

I get a reliable 7 shaves from a Shark and 6 from a Feather. With 4 DEs in rotation (I paid for them, might as well use 'em) and now some straights, the math is a little complicated. My motto is "if a thing is just barely worth doing at all, it's probably worth over-doing." My solution is low-tech but amusingly eccentric.

The things are held in place in the cabinet (or fridge, neighbor's car, what have you) with neodymium magnets, as shown in the second pic.

I'd be another one that sticks to a single blade until I'm done with it, picked up another sampler of blades I've never tried so I'm keeping track to see which of these ones works for me.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I keep my razors in a rotating pipe holder approx 30 razors all with blades in them and no idea how many shaves on each blade as well as how long has the blade been exposed. I figured this is an unsafe practice so I've removed all the blades and keep one blade soaking in alcohol and loading each razor as I use it and return the blade to the alcohol after the shave.

Whoah- I had to stop reading at "approx 30 razors". You have far too many, sir- let me send you my address:lol:

Normally four shaves then toss, I have 2 De's and use them a week or two average before switching Razors, 3 SE's and toss those blades after ~8-10 shaves.

I'm getting ready to straight shave, 5 Shave Ready Straight Razors in my Collection, with two cheapos to learn and practice Honing/stropping techniques.

Personally, I think with that number of razors in a rotation, the only logical choice would be to use a single razor/blade combo until the blade is dull, then moving on to a new razor and a fresh blade. That way you don't have a razor blade that sits for a month before being used again. I wouldn't want to use a razor that has had the same blade in it for 2 months, even if it was only used twice in those 2 months.

Life is complicated enough. I've found that (for me), perhaps others are more adept, that staying with a single razor/blade combo during the life of the blade contributes to muscle memory. Which contributes to a better shave. Jumping from a heavyweight like a Progress XL to a lightweight Tech cornfuses my over taxed brain muscles. :tongue_sm

In another post somewhere on B&B discussing this topic, someone suggested the idea of using the wax paper blade wrappers as a means of keeping track of blade use. It's simple and inexpensive.

I simply tear a corner off the blade wrapper each time I use it. When the corners are gone, I tear the wrapper in half. When that's done, I tear the halves in half again. I can always tell, at a glance, how many uses are on a particular blade, up to seven uses. As it turns out, a Feather is the only blade I can use for that long.

This works well if you use only one blade until it's worn out. If you're a guy he keeps thirty razors in their rotation , each loaded with a blade, I'd shop for another method :001_smile

I get a reliable 7 shaves from a Shark and 6 from a Feather. With 4 DEs in rotation (I paid for them, might as well use 'em) and now some straights, the math is a little complicated. My motto is "if a thing is just barely worth doing at all, it's probably worth over-doing." My solution is low-tech but amusingly eccentric.

The things are held in place in the cabinet (or fridge, neighbor's car, what have you) with neodymium magnets, as shown in the second pic.

There really ought to be one dial that goes up to 11 just on principal :biggrin1:

I generally load a blade in a razor and use it until the blade gets dull. Then I switch to another combination. But I always let the blade tell me when it is dull, so I never bother to count the shaves that I get out of a blade.

+1
Wilkinson Swords 3 shaves max. Merkur Super Platniums 6 sometimes 7 if I take my time and slow down.

In another post somewhere on B&B discussing this topic, someone suggested the idea of using the wax paper blade wrappers as a means of keeping track of blade use.

+1

The wrapper has 4 flaps so just tear off a flap each time you shave with the blade. After all 4 are gone, time for a new blade. I only ever use a blade for 4 shaves max. I haven't found one yet that allows me to get a comfortable 5th shave.

I just put a mark on the blade wrapper. By now I know how many shaves I will get with each brand of blade so when I reach that magic number, out goes the blade.

That is an inventive way to do it! I just use one razor and try to remeber how many days I have used the same blade.

+1

The wrapper has 4 flaps so just tear off a flap each time you shave with the blade. After all 4 are gone, time for a new blade. I only ever use a blade for 4 shaves max. I haven't found one yet that allows me to get a comfortable 5th shave.

I may be doing the shaving thing all wrong. I take the wrapper off before I use the blade. Is that wrong?

Top Bottom