What's new

kids and straights potential bad mix advice needed

right i soon will have 3 straights, 2 normal i de blade type. at the moment i store my deblades in two kid proof aspin bottles one for used and one for new ones and these my bottles as well as my soaps, aftershaves, shave oil ect are all in a plain black zip toiletries bag ontop of our bathroom cabinet.

all this is to keep it out of reach of my 3.5 year old and nearly 2 yearold however my 3.5 year old is a bit of a monkey and im sure could reach this if she had the notion.

this worries me. i have never let her see me shaving or see my razors to remove the mystery of them.

what saftey hints/tips do you use to keep your kids safe?

Aside from keeping them up high where they can't see/reach, locked in a box or drawer, or treated like anything else you don't want them getting their hands on (medicine, alcohol, cleaning supplies, kitchen knives, tools, etc...) I don't really know.

I would say your best bet, along with the above precautions, is educating them. My son isn't quite 2 and he sits there sometimes watching me. I give him a brush to play with and make sure I tell him several times not to touch the razor. He's so far been really good at learning what he is and isn't allowed to touch or play with, so just hoping that this message gets across too. (I also keep them well out of sight and out of reach)

I keep most of my straights in a locked cabinet high up on the wall in my bedroom, the ones I have in my current rotation I keep on top of a cabinet in the bathroom about six feet up.

There are a lot of things in the house that he shouldn't get his hands on that I don't spend too much time thinking about, my razors are just one more.

I keep my straights in one of those rigid camera cases, with the foam insides. It isn't currently locked as it well out of reach of my nipper, but lock down will be the next, sensible step.

I also lock my cigar humidors to keep little hands out.

There'd be nothing worse than finding our 17 month old stropping poorly, rolling an edge AND smoking one of my Cubans:lol:

I keep my straights in one of those rigid camera cases, with the foam insides. It isn't currently locked as it well out of reach of my nipper, but lock down will be the next, sensible step.

I also lock my cigar humidors to keep little hands out.

There'd be nothing worse than finding our 17 month old stropping poorly, rolling an edge AND smoking one of my Cubans:lol:

OR he/she could have a "Baby" bottom smooth shave ;)

i know that was a lame joke...

I remember seeing a guy here pick up a cheap "petty cash" strongbox in wall mart or something for a couple of bucks that he kept his straights in, and the key on top of the mirror way out of reach, seemed a good solution.

I only have to worry about visiting grandkids these days...well ok, I do still worry about my kids but thats a story for another thread.

I keep my straights in the overhead cupboard in my office. Keeps them out of sight, out of reach, and out of the bathroom humidity.

Probably best if you give them their own razors to play with, so they dont ruin your edges...ok...well I wasnt the first to make a joke..:001_rolle

Well, my kids (nearly 3 and 6) know that these are "no-no"'s, as are kitchen knives etc.

Still I keep them in the bathroom cabinet up high so they cannot reach them (at least not easily).

Has not been a problem so far (<knock on wood>)...

Kids have better things to do than mess with "boring" shave gear. My son (3 years) got into our bathroom last week and distroyed all of the wifes makeup, yet my stuff was untouched. Keep it high, keep it out of sight, and you will be OK.

Joel

Top shelf of a closet is a good choice. That way they need to be suspicious with a step ladder to get it. (My 3 year old gets _everywhere_ with the step ladder from the kitchen)

You also need to be very clean that the shaving equipment is a knife and they may not touch it. Education is more important than mystery in some cases.

The locking box may not be a bad idea either.

Phil

Top shelf of a closet is a good choice. That way they need to be suspicious with a step ladder to get it. (My 3 year old gets _everywhere_ with the step ladder from the kitchen)

You also need to be very clean that the shaving equipment is a knife and they may not touch it. Education is more important than mystery in some cases.

The locking box may not be a bad idea either.

Phil

lock up your master bath or lock up the drawer somehow. I have a 6 and 9 year old. They stay the F%^& away from Dad's master bathroom drawer.

Top Bottom