What's new

Dull Dorco

I am working on my first sample pack and tried a Dorco ST300 this morning. It was like shaving with a dull butter knife. Its noon and I have a five o' clock shadow. Did I just get a bad blade or is this common?

If you used a Dorco, it was a bad blade. The rest will be bad too. It's just a God awful blade. YMMV as noted by the previous posts

Never used a 301 but the 300s are not a very good blade, IME. I purchased them because they were cheap but it didn't matter because I wouldn't use them.

Blades are very much a YMMV, no matter the cost point. You just have to search to find the blade that works for you.

Dorco and my face do not make friends - ever. It's always a horrible fight and my face ends up raw, cut, haggard.

You may be like me and need to give the Dorc's a wide berth.

There's lots of blade choices out there. Some of them will be good for you. Enjoy the journey.

Try a second and see. You may not find them suitable for your face. I find them marginal and get 2 shaves from them while most other blades I get 3 shaves. They are better than some, but worse than more. I won't buy more if I have a choice.

Dollar General and stores that offer "made in Korea" blades are selling these.

Phil

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have not compared them to this blade. I have yet to use the Sharp Edge (yellow). I have actually been shopping for blades for a week or so and prefer to buy at least a 100 at a time. So, although I buy quite a few at a time I am slow to pull the trigger. Have you compared them to obtain a difference?

No, but PM me your address- I should be able to at least get you one, maybe two.

I can, with doing a good prep on my face, get a good shave with them. No they are not the sharpest but if I've gotten a bad shave the deay before, they are easy on my face. There are sharper ones out there. But sharper isn't always the best.

and I was gonna put a 300 in a slant today.. but you guys make me nervous...

So with trepidation, i loaded the Dorco 300 into the slant and proceeded cautiously... shouldn't have worried.. the blades were satisfactory, i got a great shave, no pulling, no nicks, no irritation.. If the other 99 in the box are similar, i have nothing to worry about.. it was actually comfortable enough and 2 passes with the slant were plenty to get a DFS++.

These are good for beginners since they are in my opinion the least aggressive set of blades out on the market. For the beginner they offer a margin of error that sharper blades will not. They also require that you work on a multi-pass technique which is good for the beginner. I used these through the first ten pack that I had when I started DE shaving. I graduated quickly to other blades due to my medium to course beard. I needed more from a blade in the razors that I use regularly.

Remember as well that there are a large number of people (ethnicities) that do not have heavy beards and these blades work very well and sell well in those markets.

There is one razor in my collection that requires me to use a Dorco 301 or I cannot shave with it due to its extreme aggressiveness and that is my PAL twist to lock two piece made in the 1930's. Every other blade I have used in it has caused too many weepers and issues with exposure. The Dorco 301 allows me to use this razor and get extremely close BBS shaves within 1 to 2 passes. This is the only reason why I keep a couple of packs around is when I want to use this razor. I rarely shave with this one, but it is nice to be able to use it when I wish.

These are good for beginners since they are in my opinion the least aggressive set of blades out on the market. For the beginner they offer a margin of error that sharper blades will not. They also require that you work on a multi-pass technique which is good for the beginner. I used these through the first ten pack that I had when I started DE shaving. I graduated quickly to other blades due to my medium to course beard. I needed more from a blade in the razors that I use regularly.

Remember as well that there are a large number of people (ethnicities) that do not have heavy beards and these blades work very well and sell well in those markets.

There is one razor in my collection that requires me to use a Dorco 301 or I cannot shave with it due to its extreme aggressiveness and that is my PAL twist to lock two piece made in the 1930's. Every other blade I have used in it has caused too many weepers and issues with exposure. The Dorco 301 allows me to use this razor and get extremely close BBS shaves within 1 to 2 passes. This is the only reason why I keep a couple of packs around is when I want to use this razor. I rarely shave with this one, but it is nice to be able to use it when I wish.
Most well put, my friend. :)

Very well put.

As has been noted by others, all blades are a YMMV type of thing.

I have been finding that the Dorco 300 works well in my slant. Perhaps it's the winter and my skin is not at its best due to the weather. But generally, I find Dorco blades to be mild and they work well in an aggressive razor.

Top Bottom