What's new

Gem Junior Bar

Yesterday I received the Gem Junior Bar razor I purchased from Garyg. Today I thought I'd give it a go using a Gem blade on shave 3. 2 hot towels, one after the other, followed a face wash. I used Proraso cream and a Ever Ready boar brush i purchased on our BST.

This razor was patented in 1900 and 1901. What a treat shaving with a razor that was possibly 110 years old, during the term of President Teddy Roosevelt. And after all of this time, countless shaves, many owners later, it still can deliver a DFS while looking sharp. Bully!

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually purchased one of these for a friend through our BST, I need to get one for myself and quit being so nice!!

What a treat shaving with a razor that was possibly 110 years old, during the term of President Teddy Roosevelt. And after all of this time, countless shaves, many owners later, it still can deliver a DFS while looking sharp. Bully!

As someone who has one heck of a SE collection, do you have a favorite shaver out of the bunch? I frequently find myself reaching for a lather catcher for the very reasons you note.

I like the OCMM, Streamline, but I can't help being drawn to the J. A. Henckels Rapide. I think it's a combination of out of this world good looks, totally out of the ordinary, and a good, crisp, aggressive shave.

So far I haven't met a SE I didn't like. They are exceptional shavers. I give the SE razor blade full credit for that. It's thickness and rigidity takes and holds a keen edge much better than the thin DE blades. At least thats my guess.

Edit: I love old razors. The older the better. So the newer razors do take a backseat in comparison to the Gem Junior Bar.

Last edited:
P

Pjotr

...........So far I haven't met a SE I didn't like. They are exceptional shavers. I give the SE razor blade full credit for that. It's thickness and rigidity takes and holds a keen edge much better than the thin DE blades. At least thats my guess.

Same here. I'm actually a bit scared of those nasty looking thin DE blades now.

What a great looking razor. How does it compare to the 1912 and the MM in efficacy and aggressiveness ? I really like my GEM 1912's. :thumbup1:

Bully indeed. I have been dying to try out SE shaving, just need to save up some scratch to make it happen.

You can make it happen for around $10-20 with a Gem 1912. What a great starter SE razor that would be for you.

What a great looking razor. How does it compare to the 1912 and the MM in efficacy and aggressiveness ? I really like my GEM 1912's. :thumbup1:

I thought it's very much like the 1912. The 1912 design eliminates the somewhat awkward bar with the cap. The Junior Bar has a larger lather catcher. I thought it was a bit louder, a feature I really like.

Stunning razor. On my list, but getting expensive. :scared:

I too am loving the SE experience: my progression has been 1912 Damaskeene, then MMCP, then MMOC. Next up is the 1914 or the Treet short fat black handled number.

I packed up my 2000+ DE blades in a big shoebox and put it in the bottom of my closet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom