What's new

Sensitive Neck People - Shave Neck FIRST?

So I'm a member of the Having Sensitive Skin & Chronically Red Neck Club (TM), and I tried something new the other day: Shaving my neck first before anything else.

I figure this results in getting the freshest lather possible in the area that matters the most, yet for some reason, all these videos and tutorials have people starting with their face... Well, I tried it out and got some great results! No redness, no burn, freshest lather possible (went neck, then stache/chin, then face). Readily I admit I've only done this once and I could have just had a good shave...

BUT, I can't help but feel the "freshest lather" theory is quite legitimate, as I'll sometimes finish my face off and get to my neck only to see it start to flake off (maybe I shave really slowly).

Of course, this could also be placebo and it may just be that I tend to take greater care with my shaves in the area I immediately start on - which would nevertheless be a benefit for new guys like me.

Thoughts? :cornut:

Hmmmm. Well, if it worked for you, it may be a great solution. I've tried it once, and may do it again, but it didn't work any wonders for me. If your lather does not last, perhaps it is too wet or too dry. BUT ... that being said, if shaving your neck first works for you, then that is the way to do it!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I shave my neck and under the jaw first, just so I don't get lather all over myself. Once the lather is gone from there, I can roll and tilt my head and lift my left arm over my head to stretch my right cheek, etc and not make a mess if I already have a shirt on.

If you are shaving your neck first just because your lather is drying, I suggest making your lather wetter or relathering right before doing your neck. You might benefit from having lather standing longer on your problem area. YMMV of course.

I shave on my neck first because that's my problem area and I think the razor is sharpest at the beginning and starts to get duller as i progress.

I do make sure that I prep my face really well, and let the lather set in for at least 4 minutes (brush my teeth, put in contacts etc.)

All the "experts" say to do it the other way round so that's what I have always done. As someone prone to neck irritation irrespective of razor or soap used, I will happily try the neck first tomorrow morning and report back.

There's no right or wrong way to go about your shave. If this works for you then make it a part of your shave routine.

By starting from the bottom of your neck this would serve to expose a good area for stretching the skin and being able to have smoother areas for shaving under the chin and jaw line. :thumbup1:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
The bottom 1-2 inches of my neck scruff grow from every way but NS. I go NS over that section first on pass-1 and then continue with the rest of my shave as per normal. I've tried different approaches and this works the best for me in avoiding/minimizing redness.

Not sensitive in any area, but I always start with my neck first and let the lather sit the longest on my chin.

Just curious but what kind of skin prep are you practicing preshave? I've had great luck with using a hot towel under my chin to soften the skin and hair in that area before I shave. I know its kind of a PITA but it can do wonders.

I go neck first because it is what I have always done. For me, it is less about lather freshness and more about shaving while the whiskers are still warm from the hot towel. Kyle's method helps me a lot for my neck.

I tried this today, worked pretty well! But then again, I also tried a new superlather, so I'll have to see which one gave me a better shave.

I always shave my neck first. It takes a little longer for me than other parts so I want the lather to be moist.

as I'll sometimes finish my face off and get to my neck only to see it start to flake off (maybe I shave really slowly).

Either you're shaving too slowly (how long does a pass take you?) or your lather isn't as good as you think it is - either of which can play havoc with your face.

I have always started on the neck as it is my problem area, maybe I should try leaving it till last with a longer lather soak?

So I'm a member of the Having Sensitive Skin & Chronically Red Neck Club (TM), and I tried something new the other day: Shaving my neck first before anything else.

I figure this results in getting the freshest lather possible in the area that matters the most, yet for some reason, all these videos and tutorials have people starting with their face... Well, I tried it out and got some great results! No redness, no burn, freshest lather possible (went neck, then stache/chin, then face). Readily I admit I've only done this once and I could have just had a good shave...

BUT, I can't help but feel the "freshest lather" theory is quite legitimate, as I'll sometimes finish my face off and get to my neck only to see it start to flake off (maybe I shave really slowly).

Of course, this could also be placebo and it may just be that I tend to take greater care with my shaves in the area I immediately start on - which would nevertheless be a benefit for new guys like me.

Sounds like the lather is too dry if it's flaking off. I'd try adding abit more water.

Like you, I experiment with ways to get the neck shaved better because that's a problem area for me. I really think the most experienced shavers learn alternate ways to get problem hair off when something is not working.

Back when I was using cartridges and disposables (and electric razors) I would just keep doing the same thing over and over again. I knew where the whiskers wouldn't come off, I zeroed in on that area, and they still wouldn't come off, leaving my face chapped most of the time.

The problem with the new-fangled razors you get at your typical store is that their advertising tells consumers that you can get a quicker, closer shave if you use their product. It works on some areas but not in the problem areas. If you didn't shave all weekend and your face can take a lot of abuse Monday morning you get a great shave but the rest of the week you are shaving a face that feels like raw hamburger meat.

You can't rush a good shave, and once you put hurrying up out of your mind, the old time equipment really excels and makes your face feel energized.

Top Bottom