What's new

500th post Newbie PIF

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Hey, kids, what time is it?

It's Howdy Newbie Time
PIF version
500 posts in less than 3 years WOW
I will run this PIF for the next 5 days only. I'll pick a winner on Monday April 11, so get to it, Newbies.

There are 7 rules:
1. You must be a newbie on B&B, registered between February 1 and now.
2. You must need the loot, i.e. if you have a brush and DE razor , don't apply; limping along with a cart qualifies you. Be honest, I have no way of checking
3. You must have less than 75 posts as shown in your profile. That I can check.
4. You must be of good moral character (like I can check that:001_smile)
5. You must be a human being. Be honest, on the Internet no one knows that you're really a dog.
6. You need to post in this thread. Best sob story gets it, but I'll pick the winner on a whim.
a.Keep it short, if it takes me longer to read it than it took me to type this, you lose.
b. Keep it clean.
c. Keep it humorous.​
7. There are only 6 rules.

I choose the winner on a whim.

Oh, yeah, the loot, what's the loot?
This is the loot:

1 WCS Choice Sampler Blade pack consisting of:
Feather New Hi-Stainless Platinum (10 blades)
Crystal or "Israeli" (10 blades)
Derby Extra (5 blades)
Red Israeli Personna (10 blades)
Astra Superior Platinum (5 blades
+
Merkur Super Platinum unopened from my stash (10 blades)
total 50 blades.

1 Col Conk Amber shave soap, unused remelted into a biodegradable polymer bowl.

1 Mama Bear Shave Soap 100% Natural with Cedarwood and Lemon Essential Oils, used about 4 times, cleaned and carefully remelted in its own biodegradable polymer bowl to sterilize. It's not that I don't like it, I do. I have to make room for a couple more MB soaps arriving tomorrow.

1 Castle Forbes Unscented & Water Soluble preshave (95%+ full)

1 A nice Gillette ball end tech offered by Steward HDStreetGlide

RED ALERT...UPDATE TO BRUSH

The original brush, the Vulfix is out of the package.
Why, you might ask?
Because Jim at Vintage Blades has offered me a nicer brush at half price for this PIF, which comes out to about the same price.

1. Rooney Style 3 Size 1 (Small) in faux Ivory It's a handmade, lathe turned handle , pure badger brush.

Click below to see the brush
http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/product.php?productid=484&cat=156&page=1

1 Vulfix 1000A Pure Badger shave brush This brush is no longer in the package. brand new, unused. I will purchase the brush, pending availability and have it sent to the winner directly from vendor if possible. I'll be sending this brush to B&B user Edvinoo in Sweden. He recently had all his shaving gear stolen and a whole slew of b&B members jumped in and sent him gear to replace it, but no brush. He's been using his wife's rouge brush to lather up.

Possibly, no guarantee. Working on this one.
1 Old Spice shave mug pending my actually getting it. In negotiations with another B&Ber to get it. If I don't get it, I obviously can't include it in the package

So there you go, guys. Hop to it.

On a whim, I decided to add a second winner, again based on a whim, but the rules still apply. A soap to be named at a future date, and a pack or two of blades.

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Nice PIF!! That should make some Newbie quite happy!!:thumbup:

Since you were kind enough to let me jump in with you on this and offer a razor. If your shot at the Old Spice mug falls through lets not sweat it. I will add one. So one way or the other the mug is a go.

Here are a couple pics of the Tech.

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:

captp

Nice PIF!! That should make some Newbie quite happy!!:thumbup:

Since you were kind enough to let me jump in with you on this and offer a razor. If your shot at the Old Spice mug falls through lets not sweat it. I will add one. So one way or the other the mug is a go.

Why, thank you, Scott. Much appreciated.

Hey Captp and B&B Community,

This is actually my second post ever on B&B but I have been reading reviews/forums for about a month now plotting my descent into wet shaving. I have an interesting tale to tell, and I'll try to keep it brief.

I am a graduate student (read: broke) in Cleveland Ohio finishing up a Master's degree in applied anatomy. I teach anatomy at the medical school in town and one of my jobs is to produce exemplary dissections of human cadavers to demonstrate dissection technique and human anatomy. My focus has been the head and neck and it turns out that most people are more disgusted than you would expect by human hair as soon as it is no longer attached to a living human being... Long-story-short, I ended up with the task of shaving the heads of a number of deceased individuals to appease a few weak-kneed medical students learning about head and neck anatomy.

Enter wet shaving. I tried using some single-bladed disposable BIC razors that my department had lying around to no avail. It was taking 4-5 razors to do any good whatsoever. One of the venerable faculty members realized my plight and produced, to my great intrigue, (what I have now determined to be) an 1950s Gillette super speed and a (disgusting) boar brush. He proceeded to lather and shave 5 cadavers using some "hospital use only" DE blades and a cake of soap whose origins I prefer to remain ignorant of (when surrounded by human bodies, I always think of Fight Club when I see soap)...

I was immediately impressed by the efficacy of the DE razor over the BICs and the closeness of the shave. I soon learned that my professor had brought this razor from home after it'd begun to wear down from HIS daily shave, and that he's been shaving with DEs for about 60 years without ever straying to cartridge razors or other "modern" shavers. We talked for a solid hour about wet shaving, but long before the end of the conversation I was sure that this was how shaving was supposed to be. Ever since I have been watching eBay and pricing out razors. I figured that I'd take the plunge and begin wet shaving after my birthday next month and get a used Gillette in homage to my professor, but I saw your post and thought that I'd share my story first...

Well, that's my tale of macabre and boar-hair. I hope that it has fulfilled all of the rules (especially the 7th) and that it's upset no one.

I am honored to officially begin contributing posts to this wonderful community.

Best,

Will

Last edited:
I'm a graduate student and also broke, but I don't have any hope at all of coming up with a story as sad as Will's, so I won't even try. I do, however, promise to shave a living human being (myself) with the blade, if I am selected.

captp

Remember Newbies, I didn't say it had to be a great story to win. Just a story. And I pick on a whim. Who knows, I might pick the worst story, I might pick a mediocre story, or I might pick based on the best, or worst, screen name. You never know in Jungle Hunt.

captp

Decided to add a 2nd winner. At bottom of the first post in thread (hey, it's for newbies; they might not know what OP means)

I think I half qualify. I have a DE, but a very very bad brush, so I wouldn't say I have a brush. Very very bad. I believe I meet the rest of the criteria (woof). well, most.

My sob story.....I'm broke as a joke right now so can't really afford nicer soaps and a brush. I just had birthday so I was able to buy the B&B soap from mama bear. If chosen, I will PIF the razor back to someone who really needs it. (Or my Merkur 38C if I like the ball end tech better), along with the Old Spice mug (if you ever get it from that one loser).

Also, I like puppies.

captp

I think I half qualify. I have a DE, but a very very bad brush, so I wouldn't say I have a brush. Very very bad. I believe I meet the rest of the criteria (woof). well, most.

My sob story.....I'm broke as a joke right now so can't really afford nicer soaps and a brush. I just had birthday so I was able to buy the B&B soap from mama bear. If chosen, I will PIF the razor back to someone who really needs it. (Or my Merkur 38C if I like the ball end tech better), along with the Old Spice mug (if you ever get it from that one loser).

Also, I like puppies.

Hey there, watch the loser comments. He's working with me on getting them to me.

edit: feel like an idiot. Didn't recognize the username..sorry;=)
Read my custom title; it explains it all

Last edited:
Hey all!
First post here, I've been lurking for a bit. Dead set on learning to shave with a DE.
Another student, Junior IT major.
I spend all my money on LEGO, (IT major....nerd.....I'm sure you see where that's going) so I can't really make the upgrade from these awful carts yet, but I would love to get over that hurdle, and get to being active in this community!

Good luck to everyone! : )

captp

Shameless bump so the newest of the newbies don't miss out on this

What a generous PIF!

I guess I qualify, since I had no luck yesterday at antique malls looking for a DE and my boars hair brush I bought a couple weeks ago loses more hair than I do it seems.

Did I say, Thanks for the contest!

Top Bottom