What's new

Beater ER 100 for sure

Probably should not even bother with it, but here goes.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Plenty of chips, cracks, and a dent!

The knot is out. This handle will see a bit of sandpaper! Looking at a cheap boar knot for this one.

Appreciate the optimism! Actually looking doable!
proxy.php

proxy.php

I wet sanded with 320 and 400 grit so far.
Pretty much able to eliminate the chips at the top edge by turning the handle upside down on a piece of 320 grit and sanding in a circular motion. I guess it wouldn't take much more to totally eliminate the last of the largest chip...
20 mm opening. Handle is 50 mm tall. I'd like to go with a blond boar knot with a loft of 45-50mm. How does that sound?

Last edited:
proxy.php

Good to see that I can be a bit more aggressive with the sanding and polishing. As I drilled through the middle of the old knot I took care to stop frequently and let things cool down, but I thought I could here crackling, like a fire, after shutting the drill down. After getting inside the handle, I could see what looked like burnt epoxy on the inside of the handle. Looks odd where the outermost hairs met epoxy, too. Have to be more cautious with the power tools.

Last edited:
Are the UK 20mm bristle knots still available at TGN? I think that would look great in this handle. Or maybe that 67mm loft is too much.

Might have to go 20mm silvertip at 45-50 after looking at some other restored ER 100s...

Last edited:
Thanks! Still thinking about the knot. I have another couple of handles coming and I'll order the knots at the same time.

Couldn't wait. Ordered the 20mm UK bristle knot with a 67 mm loft. It'll get set to about 50mm or a touch more. I like the idea of a lighter colored knot with the cherry red upper handle. Curious to see how this knot compares to my lowly VDH boar, too.

proxy.php

I don't know...I don't know...I don't know...

Test fit with the 20 mm TGN 3 band bristle knot. Initial thoughts: I want a bigger knot (It doesn't fill the opening. It will be set a little deeper after I widen the lower portion of the handle a bit more.), and I don't want this much stiffness in the knot.

Hmmm.... Maybe a potential travel brush?

It might be just the angle of the photo but that looks like a massive loft.

If you take it down to the 50 mm you should get a better feel for its finished look although for me its crying out for a finest extra.

You could just silicone it in at the 50 loft & give it a try, if you hate it at its easily pulled but it might surprise you.

Yeah, I didn't have the time to measure it. I just shoved it in as far as it would go and took the shot. I think it is only set 7 mm or so, leaving nearly 60 mm of loft. It'll be better when set deeper, but the boar doesn't expand out as rapidly as the badgers as you get above the plug. If I go badger, I'll sand that hole out a little more and glue a 22mm in there.

The light tips on the finest extra may be what I'm looking for...

ADD: The loft is sitting at 58 mm in that photo.

Last edited:
Here it sits at 52 mm. The hole is now full.
proxy.php

Warming up to it....

It looks good, but is it going to be too stiff since it is a boar? I know they break in nicely, and I know they have a big following. I am just asking the same question you are probably asking yourself...

Well, I hoped that a quality boar knot would change my mind, but I think I am just a badger guy. Doesn't matter if I'm using a cream or a soap, scuttle lathering or face lathering, I like badger better. Soft tips but plenty of back bone if you set it properly. Gonna sleep on it...

Well, I hoped that a quality boar knot would change my mind, but I think I am just a badger guy. Doesn't matter if I'm using a cream or a soap, scuttle lathering or face lathering, I like badger better. Soft tips but plenty of back bone if you set it properly. Gonna sleep on it...

I have the same dilemma. I have a sparkling white boar knot from TGN and a black handle coming. Together, they will look terrific. Butttttt, for daily use, I really like badger knots a lot more.

Decisions, decisions

Got the boar knot in. I shaped a piece of foam from a swimming "noodle" and filled around it with Devcon 5 minute epoxy. I put a little too much epoxy on the sides of the plug and got a little on the handle lip and bottom of the bristles. Eh, not bad given the initial condition of the handle! Now to get a paint crayon for the lettering...
proxy.php

I like the weight of the handle with the epoxy inside. It is the same weight as my EJ Best from C&E.
Handle 50mm, loft 50mm, total 100mm.

Last edited:
I got some Testors acrylic and a fine brush. I made a test lather with the brush as I was going to clean the area where I'll repaint the lettering. The old paint came right off with a light scrubbing with a nail brush. And am I now smelling the infamous badger funk (Wait! This is a boar knot!)??? Or is that the new epoxy I smell. It didn't smell at all before getting wet, but now I don't want my nose anywhere near it! Man! Post lettering pics to follow... There is no way to get the paint only in the letters. It is a brush over and wipe or sand away the excess later. The paint is drying now and in a couple of hours I'll take some 600 grit to it VERY lightly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom