What's new

Salt Water and Shaving

I'm vacationing in San Diego and spending a lot of time in the ocean swimming/surfing. My post beach and shower shaves have been awful - lots of weepers and cuts and my face feels pretty dry. I'm using my typical travel kit - Tech with IP and Mama Bear. I'm also not getting my usual lather, which might be the local water. Any thoughts? Should I be doing something different for prep?

go to the store and get some distilled or purified water. DO NOT get water with minerals added for taste or Natural Spring Water

Water is the most important, lots of people don't realize it just because they become accustom to their water source and don't realize that everywhere you go, you will get different water quality.

Last edited:
Not only may the water be an issue, salt water will dry out your skin and whiskers. Whatever prep you have, over do it to get the beard softer for shaving.

Have Fun!

San Diego is a desert region with very little humidity, I'd suggest picking up a bottle of Nivea as balm to help replenish moisture.

Here I thought you were taking a small boat somewhere or on a little island where you don't get fresh water for toilet uses.

Phil

go to the store and get some distilled or purified water. DO NOT get water with minerals added for taste or Natural Spring Water

Water is the most important, lots of people don't realize it just because they become accustom to their water source and don't realize that everywhere you go, you will get different water quality.

Thanks for the tip. It's mostly the local water. Tastes awful. Dishwasher doesn't clean. Clothes washer doesn't clean very well. I have a new appreciation for how difficult it must be to learn to wet shave with hard water. I suspect it's part of the case for canned shaving creme.

Top Bottom