Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Muhle R101?

  1. #1

    Default Muhle R101?

    Hi guys,
    I need informations about this Open comb razor
    Found it over here, it's almost new so I would like to hear your opinions before I buy

    Thanks
    Vinko

  2. #2

    Default

    It is a bit hidden but you could take these reviews as a starter. The R41 has an identical head as the R101. It is just the handle that is different.

    I love the R41; a rather mild but efficient shaver. Due to the small blade gap it only works well when you get your angles right, which is in fact not a bad thing at all!
    I must to the barber's, monsieur, for methinks I am marvellous hairy about the face

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    12,551
    Images
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by talibeard View Post
    It is a bit hidden but you could take these reviews as a starter. The R41 has an identical head as the R101. It is just the handle that is different.

    I love the R41; a rather mild but efficient shaver. Due to the small blade gap it only works well when you get your angles right, which is in fact not a bad thing at all!
    i've debated on getting the Muhle R41 to compliment my R89. i was worried the open comb on the Muhle R41 would be too agressive for my sensitive skin, but you say you it's quite MILD?
    They call me Bruce.
    All evidence has been buried.
    All tapes have been erased.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    HB, California
    Posts
    5,747
    Images
    1

    Default

    I own a R41 and I also have sensitive skin. It is a great razor and does not irritate my skin like some other open combs, Old Type, tend to. For me it is somewhere in between a Gillette Short Comb New (a bit aggressive on my face) and Long Comb New (very comfortable on my face) in terms of aggressiveness.
    -Chris-
    "Fear is the mindkiller"

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brucered View Post
    i've debated on getting the Muhle R41 to compliment my R89. i was worried the open comb on the Muhle R41 would be too agressive for my sensitive skin, but you say you it's quite MILD?
    Yes it certainly is. Not as mild as a Tech but still.

    For some reason a lot of guys think an open comb is aggressive because it has an open comb. Well, that is not so; the open comb doesn't do much than combing your hair and (with serious growth) and let them go more easily once shaved off. Blade gap and 'freedom' of the blade make a razor more or less aggressive and whether it has a safety bar or an open comb doesn't make any difference.
    I must to the barber's, monsieur, for methinks I am marvellous hairy about the face

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,098
    Images
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brucered View Post
    i've debated on getting the Muhle R41 to compliment my R89. i was worried the open comb on the Muhle R41 would be too agressive for my sensitive skin, but you say you it's quite MILD?
    Oh, yes, it's mild. I find it more maneuverable than my EJ DE87 (which has the same head as the R89).
    Viseguy -- Homo sapiens vegetalis
    "Keep up this good work and very soon I will see to it that you become a Bigelow man."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    12,551
    Images
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viseguy View Post
    Oh, yes, it's mild. I find it more maneuverable than my EJ DE87 (which has the same head as the R89).
    well, i think if i get an OC, i'll get the MUHLE 101 black handle. then i can interchange the handles on these razors. i'll have a BLK, CHROME MUHLE and an IVORY EJ handles and 2 Closed Heads and 1 OPEN. swap away....

    i was leaning towards the Muhle OC Chrome, but i already have a chome handled Muhle R89, so might as well mix it up.
    They call me Bruce.
    All evidence has been buried.
    All tapes have been erased.

  8. #8

    Default

    I got an R101 for Christmas and I love it! I find it pretty mild, perhaps a bit more aggressive then my R89. One minor issue; the middle plate, the one that has the teeth of the comb, is not plated to quite the same standard as the rest of the razor. I have the impression that it's made by Merkur. I wrote to Muhle about this and they replied that they're aware of the issue and are trying to correct it. But don't get me wrong, this is a well-made razor and a great little shaver. I'd recommend it to anyone.
    Last edited by ktimlin; 04-10-2011 at 04:51 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Carolina - Sabtieh-Beirut, Lebanon
    Posts
    2,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brucered View Post
    well, i think if i get an OC, i'll get the MUHLE 101 black handle. then i can interchange the handles on these razors. i'll have a BLK, CHROME MUHLE and an IVORY EJ handles and 2 Closed Heads and 1 OPEN. swap away....

    i was leaning towards the Muhle OC Chrome, but i already have a chome handled Muhle R89, so might as well mix it up.
    I just pulled the trigger on a Muhle 41, I will let u know what I think this week I hope. Deliveries have been really quick recently.
    BOTOC, Arkolyte, TOFLAC-U, Muhle R41 (2010)- Merkur Progress, Merkur 37 Slant, Simpsons Wee Scot lover,Omega Pro boar, Arko & Gada face latherer.
    SUPPORT B&B BUCK A SALE.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,098
    Images
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jsj_297 View Post
    I just pulled the trigger on a Muhle 41, I will let u know what I think this week I hope. Deliveries have been really quick recently.
    There's a lot to like. I used my R41 with a new Personna Med Prep blade last week. During the shave I kept checking to see if I'd forgotten to put the blade in, it was that smooth.
    Viseguy -- Homo sapiens vegetalis
    "Keep up this good work and very soon I will see to it that you become a Bigelow man."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    293
    Images
    2

    Default

    I completely agree with Tailbeard, R41 mild shave and best with ideal angles.
    - J

Similar Threads

  1. My new Muhle R101 :)
    By Vince1983 in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2011, 07:30 PM
  2. M&F and a Savile Row brush, Muhle R101
    By fingerwenger in forum Shaving Mall - Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-02-2011, 05:35 PM
  3. Is the Muhle R101 open comb to difficult for a noob?
    By fingerwenger in forum Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 12:39 PM
  4. The Muhle R101 is available!
    By wimbouman in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-10-2010, 10:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.