What's new

Personna Med prep or Lab prep.

Any experience both of these? I love the Med's, but they are pretty expensive. I read a post on here that suggests they're pretty much the same blade. HELP! I hate wasting money.

I use the Med prep and I can't remember how they compare to the Lab prep. I'd like to try some out again and make a comparison. Oh and you might want to post this in the Razor Blade sub-forum. You may get a better response. :thumbup1:

I use the Med prep and I can't remember how they compare to the Lab prep. I'd like to try some out again and make a comparison. Oh and you might want to post this in the Razor Blade sub-forum. You may get a better response. :thumbup1:

Thanks, didn't think of that.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Any experience both of these? I love the Med's, but they are pretty expensive. I read a post on here that suggests they're pretty much the same blade. HELP! I hate wasting money.

I have a tough beard which likes a sharp blade. If I take a Feather, Gillette 7 o'clock, and a Med prep and compare them for 2 shaves I cannot feel the difference. On shave 3 the Feather and the Gillette still feel good, but the Personnas get tuggy and I get irritation. On the 4th shave, the Gillettes still shine, but the Feathers are crap. YMMV

I covered this in an earlier post and my review of these blades. The only difference in the blade is that the med blades go through an extra cleaning process to make them suitable for hospital use. However, I have not found any difference in using these blades for purposes of shaving. My statement is based on my emailing ASR (Personna's then parent company) that question.

i covered this in an earlier post and my review of these blades. The only difference in the blade is that the med blades go through an extra cleaning process to make them suitable for hospital use. However, i have not found any difference in using these blades for purposes of shaving. My statement is based on my emailing asr (personna's then parent company) that question.

+1

Does this apply to any 7 O'Clock or one type in particular (i.e. yellow, green, blue pack)?

I have a tough beard which likes a sharp blade. If I take a Feather, Gillette 7 o'clock, and a Med prep and compare them for 2 shaves I cannot feel the difference. On shave 3 the Feather and the Gillette still feel good, but the Personnas get tuggy and I get irritation. On the 4th shave, the Gillettes still shine, but the Feathers are crap. YMMV

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I tried the Med Prep several months ago and loved them. Got 250 Labs (not called prep, just Lab,fyi), and think they are the same. I get 7-8 shaves from them; can't get past 5 shaves, at most, from any other blades I've tried.

I got 10 each from RBAM a while back and couldn't tell the difference between them (except the lettering on the blade itself)

Ackvil... I thought that they said they were made to the same specifications except for the rinse... I don't remember anything saying they were made on the same equipment or the same plant.

What I'm saying is that the average blades of both could EXCEED specs for sharpness, durability etc. and yet still be of a slightly different quality, especially if made of different machinery, different people adjusting/controlling the settings of the machine... (Again, *I* could not tell a difference between the Med and the Lab blades myself... but that doesn't mean that if they *are* manufactured on different machinery at different plants, that both sets of hones are maintained to the exact same tolerance, and that blades produced a few months from now might not exhibit differences between a med and a lab blade.
The maintenance people at plant A might be better at maintaining/adjusting the equipment than those at plant B.

Amazon has Personna Labs (blue pack) on sale for $13.60/100. I just picked up 900 as these are one of my favorite blades at a fantastic price. I don't see much difference between the Labs and the Meds.

Top Bottom