What's new

Razor blade disposal

How do I properly and conveniently dispose of a razor blade without having to buy blade banks? Right now, I put all the blades in an empty Irish Spring cardboard soap box and keep it on my nightstand. It is taking a very long time to fill up. When it is full, what do I do with it? How do I properly recycle the blades, are they recyclable? Should I put them in a metal can and then put it in the recycling bin?

How do I properly and conveniently dispose of a razor blade without having to buy blade banks? Right now, I put all the blades in an empty Irish Spring cardboard soap box and keep it on my nightstand. It is taking a very long time to fill up. When it is full, what do I do with it? How do I properly recycle the blades, are they recyclable? Should I put them in a metal can and then put it in the recycling bin?

This question has come up fairly often. I use an empty broth can with a slit in the top. I will dispose of the whole can when it is full - it may take years.

I just assumed that the people who recommended placing them in the recycle bin for home recycling were correct. I decided to contact the trash company that picks up my waste.

The woman who answered the phone did not think they could accept any metals other than aluminum (cans, foil, etc) and bi-metal cans. She suggested I contact the Integrated Waste Management Administration.

I called there. The woman who answered the phone did not know if razor blades could be recycled. She said they had a sharps program, but I don't have the proper container. She took my name and phone number. Someone is to call me on Tuesday.

Stay tuned. More to be revealed.

If you have kids in the house, even visiting, you should keep them in something tamper proof. As to disposal, if you don't use a metal blade bank toss them in the trash to be safe. You don't want someone in the recycling chain getting sliced up by a hundred loose razor blades bouncing around a sorting line.

You can get a small sharps bin for free at the pharmacy, and they will recycle it free as well.

Mike is right!

In many states it is illegal to dump them in the trash, just as it is with needles, because of the possibility that a trash handler could be exposed to blood borne pathogens. Many drug stores, and hospitals, will take them and dispose of them properly. Blade banks only cost a $1.00.

You can get a small sharps bin for free at the pharmacy, and they will recycle it free as well.

Sharps containers do not get recycled. They are destroyed along with the contents.

I have simply never put much effort into blade disposal. I used to stuff them back into an empty dispenser and throw them away. Now I use the slot in the medicine cabinet. There's so little metal involved that it is not worth the effort to try to recycle them.

Last edited:
Altoids box, it takes about a year to fill up, tape it shut and pitch it, buy more altoids, try the licorice
ken

How do I properly and conveniently dispose of a razor blade without having to buy blade banks??
You do exactly as you have done. You make a blade bank from some other form of trash :001_smile When it is full, tape it shut and dump it in the garbage.:blushing: Recycling is for electric shavers:001_rolle

I got the call from Waste Management this morning. (Please see my earlier post about researching disposal issues.) They generally consider razor blades to be "sharps" and would prefer that they not be included with curbside recycling. I was told that it is OK to use a sealed can (like the broth can I use) provided it is sealed prior to disposal.

They are really concerned about blades flying around loose when the metal go through the high speed magnetic separator, which is belt driven. There could be a hazard to the workers.

I think, considering how little metal I generate by using a blade a week, that I will dispose of the blade bank in the regular trash when the time comes.

I'm glad that this thread spurred me to look into this further. Thanks to the OP.

Thank you as well. I was wondering about how the recycling works with blades as well. Does that mean it's okay to put a taped up metal can with blades in it in the curbside recycling bin if I seal the top completely with tape?

I got the call from Waste Management this morning. (Please see my earlier post about researching disposal issues.) They generally consider razor blades to be "sharps" and would prefer that they not be included with curbside recycling. I was told that it is OK to use a sealed can (like the broth can I use) provided it is sealed prior to disposal.

They are really concerned about blades flying around loose when the metal go through the high speed magnetic separator, which is belt driven. There could be a hazard to the workers.

I think, considering how little metal I generate by using a blade a week, that I will dispose of the blade bank in the regular trash when the time comes.

I'm glad that this thread spurred me to look into this further. Thanks to the OP.

Thank you as well. I was wondering about how the recycling works with blades as well. Does that mean it's okay to put a taped up metal can with blades in it in the curbside recycling bin if I seal the top completely with tape?

The representative with whom I spoke said it was OK to do it the way you described. He emphasized that it was important to completely seal the container. Personally, I think I will dispose of them, in a sealed bank, in my regular (non-recycle) trash. That way I will be more confident that no one will get hurt.

I cut a slit just big enough to slide a blade in to in the plastic lid of a plastic snapple bottle. It will take forever to fill up, but when it does, I will just put a solid lid on the bottle and move the slotted lid to a new bottle.

WCS charges 99 cents for blades banks. They take up very little room, and they are as safe as can be. I ordered 3 of them on one of my first orders. Easy, clean and safe!

I bought an old piggy bank at the flea market last weekend for my used blades. Could take decades to fill that thing up.

Top Bottom