What's new

What is the best way to brown a roast?

There seem to be three ways: on the stovetop before putting it in the oven, in the oven before turning the temperature down (e.g. sear on 500°F, then turn down to 350°F), and reverse searing (e.g. roast on 350°F, then sear on 500°F just before it is down). Which is best and why?

Now you've done it :lol:

You can also cook it in the oven, remove and cool it and then sear on the stove top later. This one usually works best with Sous Vide cooking techniques.

Which one is best? I have no idea. Depending on the roast I either brown on the stove top and finish in the oven, or start with a really high oven and then turn it down.

There is another way - Thomas Keller talks about it in Ad Hoc at Home -Blowtorch Prime Rib Roast. Use a kitchen (propane) torch to begin lightly browning the exterior, season well, and then continue the cooking in a 275F oven.

I like the low & slow idea - gives me time to do other tasks in the kitchen and some leeway on having the roast done to my liking.

There is another way - Thomas Keller talks about it in Ad Hoc at Home -Blowtorch Prime Rib Roast. Use a kitchen (propane) torch to begin lightly browning the exterior, season well, and then continue the cooking in a 275F oven.

I like the low & slow idea - gives me time to do other tasks in the kitchen and some leeway on having the roast done to my liking.

:thumbup: That sounds nice, the perfect amount of caramelization.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Matthew:
I was always taught to sear/brown Roasts on the stovetop because you would have better maneuvering and temperature control to evenly sear/brown all sides of the Roast...then finish cooking your Roast in the oven. :thumbup:

Christopher
proxy.php
"Success is a lot of small things done correctly". Chef Fernand Point

Last edited:
Sear on the stove top while the Oven is warming up is what I do even when using a crockpot. I get that cast iron greased and hot and sear all the sides I can and any juices that are left in the skillett goes in the pot.

Sear on the stove top while the Oven is warming up is what I do even when using a crockpot. I get that cast iron greased and hot and sear all the sides I can and any juices that are left in the skillett goes in the pot.

+1
I sear mine in a cast iron skillet before placing in the oven.

I too usually sear first in cast iron on the stovetop and then put into the oven. Traditionally this was the preferred method because it was thought the searing "sealed in" the meat's juices. This is not true, but it does do other very nice things to the meat.

Alton Brown recommends for certain types of roasts like rib roasts which you want to keep fairly rare to cook first and then sear. Supposedly it is gentler on the meat and results in less loss of juices.

If I cook a roast in the oven, I use a Dutch Oven and sear the roast on the stove top first and then take it out while I soften onions and garlic, then when I think that looks right, place the roast right on top and then put in liquid (wine or broth or both).

you won't find any consensus because there is no true "best" method. i've tried them all including stove, oven, and torch and they all work when done with care. you may slightly overcook a roast or two while you're practicing, so i say pick whichever method appeals to you and stick with it rather than go switching back and forth between methods.

i dislike browning on the stove for practical reasons--there are limits to the size and shape of things that you can handle on the stove. i find it's inconvenient to brown all the little nooks and crannies of any bone-in roast (the best kind!) or poultry on the stove. also if you use a different pan on the stove than in the oven you may lose a significant amount of juices/drippings.

the torch definitely works, but it's tough to get things browned evenly with it. it's not worth the effort for me.

i'm definitely an oven browner. i like to roast slowly at a low temp (250-300) and then crank up my oven as high as it will go once my meat is within 10-20 degrees of my target temp (did i mention use a thermometer?). poultry is the one exception where i'll start at a high temp and then drop it down to 325-375 depending on the size of the bird.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Pretty much always I insert cloves of garlic . . . maybe 6 for a 3 lb roast. Rub with herbs . . . strangely my favourite seems to be a mix . . . herbs de province. Into a piping hot pan with a bit of olive oil . . . get all sides nice and brown. Deglaze the pan with some red wine and or beer and put into the roasting pan with the roast. Always a good bit of beer and wine go into the pan with the roast so it ends up being braised I guess . . . Into the oven at a bit less than 350 and cooked for a little less than 30 minutes per lb. I usually flip the roast over about halfway through.

Sometimes the roasting pan gets some rough cut onions, celery, carrots . . . as if doing a pot roast.

Never fails to be well appreciated.

Top Bottom