What's new

Whats a Honemeister?

I collect Safety Razors, I collect Straight Razors, I restore safety razors, I restore straight razors, I hone straight razors, I use straight razors (and safety razors odd times) so I'm a collectorestoraplaterhonerusermeister :) no, not at all - simply a bloke that's obsessed with razors.

Last edited:
But, but, but he has honed THOUSANDS of razors!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol:
Yeah, I've heard this claim too, about ten years ago. Ever contemplate the math on that claim? Figure 365 shaves a year, and I'll be generous and assume two razors per shave to test shave. One for each side of your face, WTG and ATG, is 730 razors per year. Okay, a couple of years at this pace and you've got your "thousands" of razors. I would think that at this pace, you would never ever get the opportunity to use your own razors.
If you skip the test shaves (which is BS because a "honemeister" should test shave and make sure the whole edge, heel to toe, is truly shave ready), then I can see where you can quickly amass thousands of razors honed.
But wait, there's more!
Can you truly judge a straight razors quality with a half of a shave? Can you give an honest, true evaluation of a certain brand and make if you are constantly rushing an endless stream of freshly honed razors across your face? Can you cultivate true knowledge of specific brands this way, with a brief encounter? Can you even remember all these brands? I suggest not.
I would think that there is some fudging of numbers here, some BS artistry present, and a big dose of self importance.
But wait, there's more!
Just how many straight razor shavers are out there, AND who cannot or will not hone themselves, AND are on a specific website or forum to seek out one particular "honemeister?
"Thousands"?

Is the term Honemeister used much anymore? I happened to click on this thread for the first time and was wondering why it was actually a sticky?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I think it means your stainless sink gets shiny because you've wiped slurry off it so many times.

Cheers, Steve

Makes me think of the guy or gal that is in charge or does all the sharpening in a German razor factory! No basis, just what comes to mind.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Unfortunately, a guy who drags a razor shaped object over the edge of his sidewalk could call himself a honemeister. It has no meaning, or vetting criteria.

Exactly the same way I became a lathermeister; one day you write it down and voila, a new meister is born.....:lol:

Though at least I passed for the modern Williams test, don't know what the honemeister did.

I have always maintained that as a teacher, you just need to be a couple of chapters ahead of your students.

It sounds like a made up commercial term to sell services. My grandfather straight shaved all his life. I remember going to his bath and seeing a strop on a hook. He had 4 razors that he used on a regular basis. I guess he was a honemeister.

Probably...:thumbup1:

There are also different levels of Honemesters...
Honenator: - Hones his own razors and lurks on 8 or more shaving message boards.
Honeuoso: - Hones his friends and families razors so they will think he's cool.
Sharpenatic: - Hones all kinds of blades and sometimes gets money for it.
Honeasharpisist: - Can attain a HHT6 on a GD in the dark using a car window. We don't know much about them as they don't interact with us regular folks.

Honehoarder: who knows he doesn't need any more hones, but has to go out and buy more anyhow.

The Honehead: this guy over thinks anything to do with honing. He tries to visualize how the metallic crystal structure of the steel is interacting with the aggregate abrasives materials in the hone, and will try to convince anyone and everyone that the reason his razor isn't quite sharp yet is due to boundary friction coefficients that are interacting with the plastic deformation of the edge instead of simply realizing that the guy simply never set the bevel correctly on his DMT1200 in the first place.

Honehaikuer: These guys are more interested in the foreign language saying that the gritty feel you get on a raised slurry in Japanese terms that describe it as the "feeling of the sand on a tranquil lagoon at sunset lightly flowing between your toes as your heart soars as it glimpses the snowy peak of Mount Fuji in the dying rays of the sun's final light..."

proxy.php

I recognize that quote, it is the standard answer when someone asks how to know when to move on to the next grit....

:)

Brian

<snip>

Honehaikuer: ....."feeling of the sand on a tranquil lagoon at sunset lightly flowing between your toes as your heart soars as it glimpses the snowy peak of Mount Fuji in the dying rays of the sun's final light..."

proxy.php

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
This question was answered here years ago.

What is a honemeister?
A guy with a hone and an ego.

Top Bottom