What's new

Whats a Honemeister?

to me the question is, is "hone" even a German word ? :lol:

I guess you could add "meister" to anything.. Hey I work at at Ice Cream shop, I'm a Dairymeister!

now, I do know there is someone called a "tonmeister" which is the German equivalent of Audio Engineer (or literally, "Master of Sound).. but to just slap any English word to "meister" seems kind of arbitrary..

to me the question is, is "hone" even a German word ? :lol:

I guess you could add "meister" to anything.. Hey I work at at Ice Cream shop, I'm a Dairymeister!

now, I do know there is someone called a "tonmeister" which is the German equivalent of Audio Engineer (or literally, "Master of Sound).. but to just slap any English word to "meister" seems kind of arbitrary..

Indeed. Meisterbrau isn't improved because it calls itself Meister.

I submit that we should adopt some new terminology here at B&B;

The Top Poster shall be known as the Postmeister
Guys who do a lot of PIF's will be PIFmeisters
Any Lawyer on B&B will henceforth be known as a Shystermeister

One who plays football is a football player, while one who gets paid to play is a professional football player. Honer versus professional honer, sounds more accurate to this shystermeister :lol:

Please don't refer to me as a honemeister.

Simply bow down before me, then kiss my ring, and address me as "Your Emminence" That should be sufficient.

I submit that we should adopt some new terminology here at B&B;

The Top Poster shall be known as the Postmeister
Guys who do a lot of PIF's will be PIFmeisters
Any Lawyer on B&B will henceforth be known as a Shystermeister

Members who post quality reviews shall be called "Fester Bestertester"
(any Don Martin fans out there?)

Look at it this way...if the kid at Subway with the face tattoo can be called a Sandwich "Artist", then I'll call one who hones a "honemeister" without batting an eyelash.

But ask yourself this...does the sandwich taste better because a sandwich artist made it?

Don't bother with your inner monologue...the answer is no.

More importantly, does a little piece of your soul die everytime you use the term "Sandwich Artist" or "Honemeister"?

Yes, yes it does.

Abziehstein is grindstone. I don't have any boxed Eschers on hand atm, but I believe they use the word stein and hone interchangeably though I would suspect the literal translation of stein is just "stone".

I'm a guy who likes having his posts edited by a Moderator myself.....:letterk1:

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at it this way...if the kid at Subway with the face tattoo can be called a Sandwich "Artist", then I'll call one who hones a "honemeister" without batting an eyelash.

But ask yourself this...does the sandwich taste better because a sandwich artist made it?

Don't bother with your inner monologue...the answer is no.

More importantly, does a little piece of your soul die everytime you use the term "Sandwich Artist" or "Honemeister"?

Yes, yes it does.
They do charge more for a cup o Joe at Starbucks because it's served by a barrista instead of a waiter/waitress at a greasy spoon.

Legion

Staff member
I'm going to be the first to put up my hand and say, as a person who "learned to shave" on these forums, I always thought honemeister was a real term. I didn't know it was made up recently, I thought that was the title of the guy that sharpened your razor in the 19th century and it came from Solingen or somewhere. :blushing:

Which I guess was why I was never comfortable using the term to describe myself. I sharpen all my own razors, some for friends, and I will sometimes take money from strangers and sharpen theirs. But I have never considered myself a professional honer, which I assumed is what Honemeister meant.

I'll help my buddies fix there cars, but I'm not going to claim to be a mechanic, either.

I'm going to be the first to put up my hand and say, as a person who "learned to shave" on these forums, I always thought honemeister was a real term. I didn't know it was made up recently, I thought that was the title of the guy that sharpened your razor in the 19th century and it came from Solingen or somewhere. :blushing:

me as well, how disappointing

I have come to think that there is a class of people here who could be described in whatever terms as a razor pro.
And I think there is a criteria. These are the people who not only put a nice edge on a razor, but they can deal with problems and defects in a way that produces a servicable result.
Whether that is dealing with serious rust on grandads 6/8 and giving you a nice usable 5/8. Or scale replacement, or deal professionally with any of the other issues, maybe taking a wedge down an 1/8 to good metal requires maintaining the geometry of the blade, and so on.

It would be great to have a list of such competant folk who have a proven track record over time. But how to quantify and qualify, and who is in a position to assess. Maybe, hopefully, there is an answer to those questions.

I always thought it was a semi-jokey term along the lines of SWMBO.
Anyone who applies is to themselves without ironic intent is taking themselves way too seriously.

For some reason, anytime I hear the term 'honemeister', I think of a dude honing razors, while singing (to the tune of the Heat Miser song from 'Rudolph')....

"I'm mister hone-meister,
I'm mister sharp,
................":punk:

I always thought it was a semi-jokey term along the lines of SWMBO.

SWMBO is no joke at my house. :scared:
As for my honemeisters, Stephan (mainaman) and Larry Andro certainly qualify, and as of today, add Natchez to the list.:thumbup1: I'm still admiring the shave his 5/8 Bengall gave my ugly mug.

Top Bottom