What's new

Whats a Honemeister?

back to the topic,

i don't know, the term sounds so awkward... like it was meant in fun and then adopted as terminology...

i think an "experienced honer" is one that can get a get a sharp edge that most would consider appropriate to shave with...

I do have some interesting thoughts about when people talk about having to use different hones on different metals... just seems odd... like sheffield vs solingen... to get an edge... i am not in disbelief, but it just sounds odd.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I submit that we should adopt some new terminology here at B&B;

The Top Poster shall be known as the Postmeister
Guys who do a lot of PIF's will be PIFmeisters
Any Lawyer on B&B will henceforth be known as a Shystermeister

As far as I know it's someone who has honed a lot of razors, typically applied to someone who hones for a fee (I didn't see anyone use the term for themselves who didn't offer honing services anyway). At the end of the day it's mostly marketing. I think the only regulation of it is that if someone took the title without a history of paid honing jobs, they would likely be called on it.

Don't be shy, Jon. Disbelief is the appropriate response. I know at least one really swell guy who can certainly hone who believes that... but frankly, I've got to think that he's just addicted to the placebo pill he's swallowing. I'm of the thinking that the claim originated as a way for pro honers to convince themselves and others that they can offer something more than what a simple set of good stones and a little practice could get you for yourself*... in a way it goes hand in hand with the title.

*Well sure, you COULD buy those stones and hone your own razors, but you can't just get one great finisher... that razor is best off that $40 stone, but that one would be best off this $150 one, and that one would be best off this $300 one. Send them to me and I'll show you.

A lot of the "This vs That" honing "facts" you'll find are based mostly on the confidence that when a difference is an indecipherable and subjective one, the assertion of a "meister" will be enough to convince the amateur.

Last edited:
Gents, not a straight shaver nor am I interested in becoming one but I see this title thrown around quite a bit. Joe Blow honemeister extraordinaire, etc. Anyway, how do you get this title? Do you go to school and get a certificate? Do you apprentice under a Jedi honemeister? How do I become one if I wanted to?

Follow the ways of the stone you must......

Man+hone+ego=honemeister.

Precisely.

A man who can hone well doesn't need a title. His results should speak for him, not the other way around. Anything else is marketing.

I once received a so-called shave-ready straight. It was very sharp in the middle. But, the tip and heel would not pass the HHT or TNT (yes, not even the TNT). Those same spots would not cut arm hair. After talking to the guy--who dismissed my testing and claimed that it "dulled" the trouble spots--he mentioned that he runs a honing service and was happy to hone for me. That goes to show you that, just because you pay someone money for something, whether a shave-ready razor or a honing, caveat emptor.

Tangentially: A friend of mine has a brother who is a personal trainer. He likes to say that his body is his resume. :lol:

I am not a honemeister, though I do hone razors. I am not a brewmeister, though I do drink beer. I am not a songmeister, and I will not willingly tell anyone if I sing in the shower.

The last one cracked me up lol maybe we should include politicians with the lawyers.

Based on my astute commentary on Honemeisters I feel I've demonstrated an outstanding level of understanding on the subject. Therefore, I shall henceforth be known as "The Honemeistermeister".

That is all.

In the summer, when I fire up the grill I am The BurgermeIster!

But only my friends call me that.

To everyone else, it's MisterMeister.

BTW, I happen tonthink everyone should hone their own blades. It really isn't that complex.

But Im also a bit ignorant. I use a DMT1200 and lapping films exclusively, so the finer essences of a coticle hewn from the early Cretaceous era or what have you I wouldn't be able to tell you how that'd work out for ya. Nor finishing on a double Sukahara or some such.

Hone it 'til it's sharp. Simple as that.

Some things you shouldn't be a "meister" of. I once had a job on a fishing boat as the baiter. I was pretty good at it. Needless to say I wasn't putting the term meister in what I was called......:lol:

Some things you shouldn't be a "meister" of. I once had a job on a fishing boat as the baiter. I was pretty good at it. Needless to say I wasn't putting the term meister in what I was called......:lol:

:lol::lol:

I have a cousin that use to work in a bait shop. That was his nickname.

I HAVE HONES !

Are you Baiting the Meisters there...:whistling:

Great discussion here.

I think folks who offer a honing service, whether free or for a fair profit, are providing something very valuable to the straight shaving community as it is the best way to get new folks started shaving. An equally valuable contribution are those who demystify honing such that it is an accessible practice to all of us who are interested in learning it.

Having said that, I totally don't get the term 'honemeister' . . . it really does sound like a joke .... I worry that whoever coined it, may have been making some fun.

Its also sounds like it could be exclusive to German blades. An expert at honing Sheffield razors could be a 'honebloke' and someone who hones French razors could be known as a 'honemaitre', Spanish - 'honemaestro'... etc. The nomenclature could get really complicated.:glare:

Last edited:
Its also sounds like it could be exclusive to German blades. An expert at honing Sheffield razors could be a 'honebloke' and someone who hones French razors could be known as a 'honemaitre', Spanish - 'honemaestro'... etc. The nomenclature could get really complicated.:glare:

American razors could be called "razor sharpeners." Not as cool sounding though:glare:

Imagine a bunch of guys shooting the breeze, doing "something." It might be fishing, honing, hunting. Someone says to Joe, "You are a ___ meister!"

It is a compliment, and totally appropriate.

Which leads to my rule #1... it should not be self applied.

Imagine a bunch of guys shooting the breeze, doing "something." It might be fishing, honing, hunting. Someone says to Joe, "You are a ___ meister!"

It is a compliment, and totally appropriate.

Which leads to my rule #1... it should not be self applied.

I agree its a compliment but it sounds like it went from informal title to seriously formal title. I understand the rationale but i just can't say it aloud without feeling silly.

I apologize to anyone who really enjoys the title, i get the connotation i guess the seriousness or humor is lost on me.

Top Bottom