What's new

Cologne / Aftershave

You got to educate me please guys,
Cologne / Aftershave, what is the difference and what is the purpose of each.
Some how I don't think Cologne is weak Aftershave :blushing:

Tony

You got to educate me please guys,
Cologne / Aftershave, what is the difference and what is the purpose of each.
Some how I don't think Cologne is weak Aftershave :blushing:

Tony

It's more like the other way around. Cologne or EDT, is more concentrated and stronger, while the Aftershave has other ingredients to treat your skin after shaving (glycerine, etc.), and normally the scent fades more quickly..

Cologne or EDT is traditionally applied to the upper chest, while Aftershave goes right on your face and neck.

It's more like the other way around. Cologne or EDT, is more concentrated and stronger, while the Aftershave has other ingredients to treat your skin after shaving (glycerine, etc.), and normally the scent fades more quickly..

Cologne or EDT is traditionally applied to the upper chest, while Aftershave goes right on your face and neck.

Good answer. EDT or cologne is applied to your body's pulse points.

While this is typically true (aftershave has things like glycerin in it to soothe the skin) this is not always the case, as some of the higher end designer aftershaves are nothing more than a less concentrated fragrance, and alcohol. They lack any skin conditioning properties at all, and burn like the dickens when applied to the face.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Tony:
While aftershave (AS), products contain an astringent (alcohol-based), which closes the pores of the skin, improving the appearance of the skin, and helps prevent infection, some AS products contain a moisturizer. If not, the addition of glycerin will fix this problem (I add about 6 drops of glycerin per 4oz to my Clubman Special Reserve AS). Also, AS will have alot less (percentage wise), essential scent oils than cologne which is why AS will not have a lasting effect than colognes.

Cologne on the other hand will have a concentration of only 2%-5% essential scent oils, (mainly citrus based), is only good for making you smell nice and does not have any other properties, such as being a AS...if you use a cologne it is only for making you smell nice. The higher the percentage of essential oils...the longer your cologne will last, and the less you need to apply eventhough your own nose will become accustomed to the scent and you will think it has worn off (best to get a Sampler to see what fits best with you).

Also, my Father (of whom I've always thought of as great teacher and gentleman),
proxy.php
told and showed me (just like my Mother also), that the best place for applying cologne is behind the ears & also on the earlobes.

Reason?

Because your ears are classed as a 'pulse point'...just the same as the inside of your wrists and/or your chest. These are 'warm' area's of the body and applying colognes to these places enhances the scent (but does not overpower), of the fragrance you are wearing.

So in essence...the choice is yours...(I use both), experimentation is one good start...just my
proxy.php

Christopher :velva2:

Last edited:
Thanks Christopher for all the detail, well thanks to all who posted.

I am a little wiser today :thumbup:

Aftershave - product designed to moisturize and heal skin after a shave. Usually contains ingredients intended to tone, tighten skin and sterilize any cuts or nicks. Scent, if there is any, is a secondary feature and should be very fleeting.

Cologne/Eau de Toilette - perfume for men. EdT's are more concentrated scent than colognes. Neither has any ingredients intended to promote skin health, they're just oils and alcohol.

Note that mainstream/department store type aftershaves may not follow these rules, as the marketing department is usually stronger than the R+D department!

Bemusd - "cologne" is kind of a misused term. Many men and women use it to reference any scent a man wears. Similarly, some people call any scent a man wears "after shave"

Technically speaking"colonge" should refer fragrance that is eau de cologne strength.

Basically:

weakest scent -After Shave - meant to splash on face after shaving. Strength of scent is generally weaker because

- higher alcohol content or other ingreds to sooth face
- you don't want a strong scent on that much always exposed skin

eau de cologne- Not a very common fragrance strength. Meant to splash on body- neck, shoulders. Many EdC scents are pretty light; citrusy

Eau de toilette- This is the most common scent strength. Most of the male fragrances you would see in department stores are this strength. Not meant for splashing on face after shaving at all. This is the main category of scents discussed in the fragrance part of forum. Usually sold in bottles with atomizer.

Eau de parfume - not too common with men's scents. A lot of the niche perfumers sell this strength. It's usually a bit more potent than edt with more longevity.

Top Bottom