What's new

So the AD begins

I'm just over a week in and I can feel the AD begining.

I'm planning on getting the Truefitt and Hill sample packs and a starter set from The Traditional Shaving company.

However with this set you can choose your razor. The standard option is the Murker 34c HD, but you can also choose the Edwin Jagger DE86.

I'm drawn towards the EJ as I can match the razor handle with the handle of the brush:blush:

So I guess my question is: Is there much difference between these razors shave quality for a complete newbie like me.

Last edited:
Roy, both are excellent razors, and either would suit you. Edwin Jagger is well known for the quality of it's finish and the razor you mention is a superb shaver. I prefer the chrome handled one as it seems to have a better balance than the polyester, but that is just my opinion, and I don't really understand why that should be. The Merkur is slightly more aggressive than the EJ, I get a slightly better shave still with it, but the downside is the finish. Not poor, but lacking the EJ quality. You take your pick.

Roy, both are excellent razors, and either would suit you. Edwin Jagger is well known for the quality of it's finish and the razor you mention is a superb shaver. I prefer the chrome handled one as it seems to have a better balance than the polyester, but that is just my opinion, and I don't really understand why that should be. The Merkur is slightly more aggressive than the EJ, I get a slightly better shave still with it, but the downside is the finish. Not poor, but lacking the EJ quality. You take your pick.

many thanks

Roy

it beats me why people prefer a razor that looks glossy and shiny over one that performs better.

the 34C is the working man's razor, for the one who only cares about results. its a better shaver.

it beats me why people prefer a razor that looks glossy and shiny over one that performs better.

the 34C is the working man's razor, for the one who only cares about results. its a better shaver.

the question was more if there was any difference between the shaves given between the two, if not then the looks part was an added extra.

if I know me then I'll probably have both in a couple of months anyway.

But thanks for the reply

Roy

I was being a little dramatic :tongue_sm

both are great razors capable of great shaves. the HD is more aggressive than the EJ, which is why I prefer it. the EJ's are too mild for me. I just find it strange that people see the finish of a razor as a big factor, like its on par with how well a razor shaves. if the HD looked bad well then fair enough, but its anything but a bad looking razor.

the question was more if there was any difference between the shaves given between the two, if not then the looks part was an added extra.

if I know me then I'll probably have both in a couple of months anyway.

But thanks for the reply

Roy

Assimilation...complete.

I have them both, use both; prefer the 34c bc it is a workhouse, when time is important, I get good results in 1 pass

ken

To top it swmbo tells me her mother has 2 or 3 "old" razors that where her fathers and I can probably have them :)

Also depends on which blade you use. My "ultimate" is the Muhle R89 + Feather blades. Whereas my EJ DE86 is great with Shark blades as Shark's are not as sharp and the extra weight of the DE86 evens it out somewhat.

My opinion is go for the DE86 as it not only shaves great but looks great, which is one up on the Merkur.

I've both razors, and find them both excellent shaves. I do find that the EJ is a little more forgiving and I almost never ever get any weepers, no matter the blade I'm using, from Feathers to Astras...

With the Merkur I find it a little more aggressive, not much, just enough.

If this is your first, I'd opt for the EJ.

Good luck.

Top Bottom