What's new

Safety razor recommendations

Hello, B&B members.

I have a very simple, yet deep question.

Does the blade i use in my DE shaver make a difference? (i know it does, it is only a rhetorical question as a premise for my main question below.:cool: )

If so, can anyone give me any recommendations and the uniqueness or difference that razor blade would have over the others?

B/C i am in the process of buying some safety razors blades for my adjustable Gillette razor and Gillette SUPER SPEED "ROCKET" razor.

Respect must be given where respect is deserved, which is why I ask this question.

Greatly appreciated for any advice and consultation recieved.

Thanks,
rogersfreud

Welcome to B&B, Rog. (name?)
Yes, blades are very different, though they may look similar. An excellent resource for those beginning this journey may be found here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20003
With a sampler pack from Letterk, you can quickly discover which blades are right for you, at a minimal cost. For me it was the Feather, others like Derbys, Israeli Personnas, or Swedish Gillettes.

Again, Welcome!
Norm :boat:

Roger,

This is a "YMMV" question. Blade preference is as personal as cream/soap/razor preference. Just like Patrick Swayze stated in "Roadhouse", opinions vary. Experience is the best teacher.

Randy

Firist i would like to thank everyone for a warm welcome into B&B.

Second, i would like to thank papasmurf for the great deal of purchasing 2 gillettes from him. ONe was an adjustable and the other was a super speed rocket. I look forward to receiving them and shavaing with them. I am excited to see and experience the difference.

Also, i like to thank him for including new blades to try out from his own stash. Kind of like "training wheels" on a bike for me :cool:

Thanks for the advice everyone and the website to Westcoastshaving.com

And finally, Norm. My real name is actually Isaac, but I've used the handle name of rogersfrreud for many years. "Rogersfreud" is the last names of a psychologist and psychiatrist: Carl Rogers and Sigmund Freud.

Well, that is enough info from me.

Thanks again......
Isaac

Firist i would like to thank everyone for a warm welcome into B&B.

Second, i would like to thank papasmurf for the great deal of purchasing 2 gillettes from him. ONe was an adjustable and the other was a super speed rocket. I look forward to receiving them and shavaing with them. I am excited to see and experience the difference.

Also, i like to thank him for including new blades to try out from his own stash. Kind of like "training wheels" on a bike for me :cool:

Thanks for the advice everyone and the website to Westcoastshaving.com

And finally, Norm. My real name is actually Isaac, but I've used the handle name of rogersfrreud for many years. "Rogersfreud" is the last names of a psychologist and psychiatrist: Carl Rogers and Sigmund Freud.

Well, that is enough info from me.

Thanks again......
Isaac

Welcome to B&B, Isaac. :a50: In trying to find converts, I told them that using a Mach 3 was like using a razor on training wheels. :laugh: I say that because, there is so much less skill involved when you use a Cartridge Razor (CR). It was the first thing that I thought of when I read your post.

We now return you to your local station... :lol:

Welcome Roger. +1 on the sample pack from LetterK.

Thank you for your recommendations.

I am very interested in trying them.
HOwever, i do not understand what a "+1" is and "LetterK".

Is LetterK a member, a website, or brand of a razor, and the same would go for "+1".
COuld you please help out an ignorant newcommer like me.

Also, I have my eyes on purchasing a Merkur HD long handle, red-tipped gillette heavy super speed, and an adjustable E-4 gillette fatboy - any thoughts on them.
And What is unique about a fatboy, and is it worth the purchase?

I know that i have a lot of questions, but i am very interested and curious.:biggrin:

Greatly appreciated, gentelment.

Looking forward to your responses.

Isaac

HOwever, i do not understand what a "+1" is and "LetterK".

Is LetterK a member, a website, or brand of a razor, and the same would go for "+1".
COuld you please help out an ignorant newcommer like me.

Also, I have my eyes on purchasing a Merkur HD long handle, red-tipped gillette heavy super speed, and an adjustable E-4 gillette fatboy - any thoughts on them.
And What is unique about a fatboy, and is it worth the purchase?

Hello Isaac --

LetterK is a member here at B&B and as an accomodation to other B&B'ers, puts together Razor blade samplers. He doesn't make any money from this, expenses are 'passed through' and it gives wet-shavers the opportunity to sample a variety of blades.

+1 = 'ditto' = 'agree with previous post'.

Regarding the Merkur, the Red-tip, and the Fatboy; all are highly regarded razors, each with a good following by those who favor them. Each is different from the others, all I can say is that you have to acquire each, use it and see if you favor it. Yes, these are worth the purchase. These acquisitions are easily done it the buy/sell/trade forum and makes shaving a wonderful adventure. If you find you don't care for a razor, you can sell/trade it away in the same forum down the line.

-- John Gehman

I was on e-bay and saw a deal on Personna Platinum razor blades made in Isreal.

I am not sure on the name brand, since i am new to this, but the math is simple enough to realize a good price.

A store is selling 100 "Personna Platinum" DE razor blades for a total price of $11, which includes shipping charges.

Just click on the link to be taken there:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110131333823&rd=1&rd=1

Also, check out my this deal on 200 "Derby Extra" Platinum DE blades for
a total price of $25.99, which also includes shipping. this deal can be found at this link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=180125044740&rd=1&rd=1

Let me know if you have any problems.

Isaac

Top Bottom