What's new

Los Angeles Meetup: Saturday April 16th

It looks like we have a few takers for Saturday April 16 at the Formosa Cafe located at

7156 Santa Monica Blvd
West Hollywood, CA 90046

6PM

There's free parking for an hour or two (I'm not quite sure) at the Target mall right next to it.

Those interested, please post your comments.

In the meantime, here's a scene from L.A. Confidential shot at the Formosa:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfyd9YVo9uU&feature=player_embedded#at=16

Some history; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formosa_Cafe

Here's another page with information: http://federicodecalifornia.wordpress.com/tag/film-noir/

Opened in 1925, it's a great old timey place, very well preserved, with atmosphere to spare. The following are/were patrons to the Formosa Cafe according to Wikipedia:

* Marlon Brando
* Warren Beatty
* Jack Benny
* Humphrey Bogart & Lauren Bacall
* Bono
* Nicolas Cage
* James Dean
* Johnny Depp
* Shannen Doherty
* Michael Douglas
* Richard Dreyfuss
* Jodie Foster
* Clark Gable
* Judy Garland
* Curtis Hanson
* Paris Hilton
* David Janssen
* Grace Kelly
* Jerry Lewis
* Ford Austin
* Karl Malden
* Dean Martin
* Marilyn Monroe
* Matthew Perry
* Elvis Presley
* Elizabeth Short
* Bugsy Siegel
* Frank Sinatra & Ava Gardner
* Christian Slater
* Britney Spears
* Rod Steiger
* Elizabeth Taylor
* Lana Turner
* Jack Webb
* Rob Sheridan
* Brad Pitt
* Natalie Wood & Robert Wagner
* John Wayne

Last edited:
I will be there, FOR SURE, i am pretty open with the time...8 sounds great .
I used to rent an apartment on formosa avenue a block and a half north form the formosa cafe.....its a lovely place ( as so is Jones across the street...) you gotta love old hollywood hungouts ( the gran daddy of all of them being Musso & Frank on hollywood blvd...) .
Can't wait to meet you all.:001_smile

I will be there, FOR SURE, i am pretty open with the time...8 sounds great .
I used to rent an apartment on formosa avenue a block and a half north form the formosa cafe.....its a lovely place ( as so is Jones across the street...) you gotta love old hollywood hungouts ( the gran daddy of all of them being Musso & Frank on hollywood blvd...) .
Can't wait to meet you all.:001_smile

Looking forward to meeting you, Sergio.
Yeah, Musso and Frank's is great. Great eggs Benedict, and Chicken ala King; but there is something very charming about The Formosa's decor, particularly the 1930's Hollywood version of what Chinese looks like.

How will I find you all?

Good question;

1. My avatar is me, so that I can be recognized. You can get a better look in my public profile.
2. I'll try to reserve a table under the name of Badger and Blade, so that all one has to do is ask.
3. I'll be wearing a white carnation.

A couple questions? Since I've never been to a B&B meet.

- Do vendors come and show their wares?
- What typically happens at the meets? Meet over drinks or food, are there demos, etc.
- Are we in a banquet room, or mixed in with the rest of the restaurant?
- Do members bring things to show, sell, trade?

I guess in short could you give sort of an "over-view" of what a meet might be like.

I was involved in another hobby a while back, "headphone" audio and they were fairly involved events being fun and informative. With members demoing equipment, manufactures showing what they have product-wise. Will it be like this or something different?

DD

- What typically happens at the meets? Meet over drinks or food, are there demos, etc.

I guess in short could you give sort of an "over-view" of what a meet might be like.

I was involved in another hobby a while back, "headphone" audio and they were fairly involved events being fun and informative. With members demoing equipment, manufactures showing what they have product-wise. Will it be like this or something different?

DD

I've never been to one either. My purpose in getting this one happening is meeting fellow B&B brothers.
Someone will surely chime in.

T

true01

DD

My thoughts exactly..Do we bring stuff? Vendors? I'm really trying to make this thing...

I don't personally know any of the vendors here since I'm new in the area. If anyone who does would invite them, that would be great.:thumbup1:

Just to chime in - I'm hoping to make it. Look forward to meeting everyone if crossing the 405 doesn't kill my Saturday afternoon resolve!

Just wanted to let you all know that I was at the Formosa this evening and I booked a big table under Badger and Blade for Saturday at 6.

There should be no problem finding each other.

See you soon!

Several of the Austin area B&B members get together every few months or so. We usually bring stuff for show and tell, and stuff to give away, trade or sell. Now that friendships have developed we try and get together and eat lunch or have breakfast together and (gasp) shaving has taken a back seat to the rest of the conversation. We still talk about shaving but it isn't the dominating factor anymore.

Almost a year and a half ago we had a pretty big meet up and Lee from Lee's Razors came. But their were a lot of guys there.

I don't think their is a wrong way or a right way to have a meet up. Just meet up and have a great time.

OK, I'll bring something to give away, and my best razors for show and tell.

I hope I don't lose the razors, though.:bored:

I agree. There is really no wrong way to do these. I was at the last LA meet and there were a couple of vendors there, we raffled off some cream and soap and one member bought some brushes to show. My advice is if you feel like bringing something to show bring it. If you feel like bringing things to trade, sell or giveaway bring them. The event can only be as fun as we make it. Just like this site. The reason it's such a great place is because of the caliber of the people and what we all put in to it together. So we should just take that same frame of mind and apply it to this.

That being said I plan on bringing some brushes and maybe couple other things. And as far as getting vendors to come all you have to do is ask. Send them a PM. Most of them were members before they became vendors. I did. So you never know who might show up.

I'm excited to see everyone tomorrow to have some drinks and talk shaving.
Jorge thank's for putting this event together

Joe

Last edited:
I agree. There is really no wrong way to do these. I was at the last LA meet and there were a couple of vendors there, we raffled off some cream and soap and one member bought some brushes to show. My advice is if you feel like bringing something to show bring it. If you feel like bringing things to trade, sell or giveaway bring them. The event can only be as fun as we make it. Just like this site. The reason it's such a great place is because of the caliber of the people and what we all put in to it together. So we should just take that same frame of mind and apply it to this.

That being said I plan on bringing some brushes and maybe couple other things. And as far as getting vendors to come all you have to do is ask. Send them a PM. Most of them were members before they became vendors. I did. So you never know who might show up.

I'm excited to see everyone tomorrow to have some drinks and talk shaving.
Jorge thank's for putting this event together

Joe

Joe,

Does this mean you PMd them already?

Thanks,

EDIT: I just PMd WestCoast, Royal, and BullGoose, am I missing anyone?

Thanks again,

Last edited:
Top Bottom