What's new

Finally.....another butterscotch local find (Restoration Tutorial)

And here she is post bloom.

I'm not good in the morning so had to take this pic before I go to bed.

This is going to be a great travel brush ( and probably everyday rotation brush too )

proxy.php

And here it is against the brush that started my love of butterscotch, my love of restoring and some will say the start of the increase in the prices of butterscotch brushes....... :lol:

( It's actually still one of two everyday rotation brushes even though I've got a few now ( The other's another Kent with a Silvertip A @ around . I really COULD have stopped at just ONE brush.........NOT !! :lol: )

It's a 1949 Kent KS7 . In comparison it's a 20mm Finest bulb also set at 45mm ( note that it's dry here )

proxy.php
proxy.php

Hope this post helps someone out there :blushing:

Ahh what the hell, it's 1 am, I've had a few ports so here just to finalise this post is my three TRUE CATALIN BUTTERSCOTCH brushes. Last is a V series Kent , Silvertip A set at around 48 mm.

proxy.php

Last edited:
What a great post Ian! Ought to be a sticky, but for sure I've got it bookmarked. Pretty much you've detailed what I find to be the hardest part - choosing the knot. I get so lost in the details that often I get started on ordering some knots (for handles completely ready) that I get confused (not quite the right word) and give up. Must be a "too many options" phobia.

A nice little travel brush you got now! :thumbup1:

-jim

Fidjit,

Your blow by blow post has inspired me to have a go at restoring a brush or two or three and I have not even received the first one from da Bay yet.

I agree, you probably have pushed the prices of lovely butterscotch handles through the roof, but you make them look so desirable.

Thanks for your Wiki as well, I have been very confused with all the knot options etc. etc.

I hope you will help me with some ideas as to which knot I should try when the time comes.

Thanks, Sunbird (TVL)

Wow, is it just me or is the brush restoration process doable for us regular folk?? I always imagined getting the badger pelt, pulling out the choice hairs, stacking them and tying them off... etc etc. I don't know. I had no idea what went in to making a shaving brush. I kept seeing people posting their finished brush restores... I just watched with envy. But I think I may try to do one of these... a lot cheaper than spending $150 on a silvertip brush and a ton more character than something off the shelf... I like that. Thanks for sharing all of this!

Last edited:
Top Bottom