What's new

New member check-in

strop

Now half as wise
Thought I’d take this opportunity to introduce myself. I discovered this forum after it was mentioned on a woodworking forum. Lurked off and on for a while and seriously started lurking about a week ago. Have learned a lot but still haven’t got to all of it…not enough hours in the day!:laugh:

I learned to shave using a DE razor, a nice heavy brass Gillette. Switched to the disposable two blade since they were “cooler” in college. Actually started using a brush and soap a few years ago when I got my grandfathers shaving mug and brush. The brush was beyond usable, but my wife found a nice “pure badger” brush at an antique mall for $3. WOW! What a difference.:thumbup1:

Now fast forward to last weekend. SWMBO wanted to stop at a mall to get some special kind of makeup. I normally develop hives and break out in a cold sweat when I go into shopping malls, but I found The Art of Shaving store just around the corner. I started looking at straight razors, but decided I’d better get comfortable again with DE razors. I walked out with a nice Merkur and some shaving cream.

Again…WOW! As Emeril would say “Take it up a notch” I’ll play around with the cream some more before making decision re soap or cream, and I’ll order a sampler pack of blades, but I’ve found the Merkur blades nice, though have nothing to compare yet

All of this has generated a few questions that I’ve not discovered answers to. I’ve yet to nick myself. Does the use of an alum block add anything other than stop bleeding? I’m using my mug with the shaving cream. Would a bowl work better? And is there anything special about a shaving bowl vs. a cereal bowl?

I’ve not yet figured out whether wet shaving is a slippery slope or a vortex (woodworking reference!), but I’m already trying to figure out what kind of new brush to get, and looking to see if I can find my old razor buried in a box in the basement.

Mark

Welcome to B & B. It's sounds like you are off to a good start. I don't use an alum block. I use witch hazel. Good luck

Welcome to the forum!

I don't use an alum block either. I do use witch hazel as an astringent after the shave and it works quite well. I am a big fan of building lather in a bowl-any bowl will do. I have a latte cup I picked up for $3 and it works fine. Brushes are a matter of preference. Badger brushes seem to hold more water and are softer. I like them for shaving creams. They cost more. Boar seem stiffer and make it easier to build lather for a puck of soap. All that being said, either one will work just fine for soaps or creams.

You're on a good track. Don't worry about the "vortex"-it will come soon enough.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Welcome to B&B! I use both alum and witch hazel, in that order. I suppose what you refer to as "vortex" we call AD= acquisition disorder! As in RAD,SAD, ASBAD, etc. Read the wikis, watch the Mantic videos, its all good here!

strop

Now half as wise
Welcome to B&B! I use both alum and witch hazel, in that order. I suppose what you refer to as "vortex" we call AD= acquisition disorder! As in RAD,SAD, ASBAD, etc. Read the wikis, watch the Mantic videos, its all good here!

AD:laugh:I'm afraid I'm very susceptible! The vortex is the AD of turners. Might have to try my hand at making a shaving bowl and matching brush.

Do you use the alum and witch hazel with every shave, or just when there is irritation?
What/where are the Mantic videos?

Mark

Last edited:
I’ve not yet figured out whether wet shaving is a slippery slope or a vortex

A vortex!

I use an alum block, and there is no need to decide between creams or soaps. I have many of each!

...and on the question of a soup bowl or mug verses a special lathering bowl (a scuttle), I do sense a difference. My scuttle has build in ridges which help agitate the lather. I used various soup bowls for about a year or so.

Top Bottom