What's new

Question about honing

Hi,

I will be getting my first Straight Razor (DOVO) in the mail soon. I have ordered a Norton 4k/8k hone and a strop and a seperate strop with chromium oxide paste. I had a question on maintaining the razor-I want to make sure I do things properly from the beginning.
I'm planning on stroping (no paste) of course every day. Would it be reasonable to strop on the Chromium Oxide once a week and then on the regular strop and once a month do the 4k then 8k followed by CrO2 followed by the regular strop?
Do I need to get other pastes such as the Dovo Red and black also and use them prior to the chromium oxide or can I just use the CrO2 paste solely?
I'm very excited about using my straight but this is all kind of new and a little bit overwhelming.

Also another question on the Norton-when I use that do I first hone on the 4K then the 8K then pastes or should I alternate the 4k / 8k a couple of times then the paste?

I appreciate your help and advice. Thank you.:001_smile

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I don't think a specific timeline exists- there are just too many variables. Newbies tend to dull their razors faster (both on their strop and on their face) until they develop their technique to their own standard. I'd say use the regular strop until the blade seems to not regain it's original keenness from stropping alone. When that happens, you can use the pasted strop. This may take three shaves, or twenty. Who knows? When the effects of the pasted strop seem to disappear quickly, it's probably time to hit the hones.

Others will disagree with this vehemently, but I'd suggest using your straight for the second and third pass at the beginning. This will allow you to concentrate on the feel of the blade on your skin without worrying about not mowing down enough stubble on the first pass. Once you get the feel for the steel on your face, you'll be a better judge of how sharp the razor is, and how much work (if any) the edge may require.

I don't think a specific timeline exists- there are just too many variables. Newbies tend to dull their razors faster (both on their strop and on their face) until they develop their technique to their own standard. I'd say use the regular strop until the blade seems to not regain it's original keenness from stropping alone. When that happens, you can use the pasted strop. This may take three shaves, or twenty. Who knows? When the effects of the pasted strop seem to disappear quickly, it's probably time to hit the hones.

Others will disagree with this vehemently, but I'd suggest using your straight for the second and third pass at the beginning. This will allow you to concentrate on the feel of the blade on your skin without worrying about not mowing down enough stubble on the first pass. Once you get the feel for the steel on your face, you'll be a better judge of how sharp the razor is, and how much work (if any) the edge may require.
Thank you for your response and advice. I appreciate it.

I agree with this (vehemently...). Rather than making some sort of maintenance schedule, you would do well to learn what your razor needs and then to respond with the appropriate action. You face will tell you if/when something needs to be done. Probe the edge - thumb pad test is good; some folks go ga-ga over the hanging hair test, but it's up to you to find out what's happening and what's needed. Good luck.

Top Bottom