What's new

Anyone own multiple automatic watches?

I recently got my Orient watch and am considering getting an additional auto watch as well. My concern though is automatic watches kind of need to be worn frequently to keep them going. So is there a trick to having multiples if you want more than one? Or do you just set the time and date on them as needed? As of now I own 3 watches, a TAG, Orient, and a Fossil which is basically the watch I wear if I don't care what happens to it. But I'm liking the idea of having a few different watches. Mostly I have two tones now but am considering a stainless one and who knows maybe one day a leather bans as well :blushing:

I have several auto and hand wind - I just set the date in the morning when I put it on. Letting them 'rest' will reduce wear and tear on the movements instead of having them always running even when not wearing them.

I recently got my Orient watch and am considering getting an additional auto watch as well. My concern though is automatic watches kind of need to be worn frequently to keep them going. So is there a trick to having multiples if you want more than one? Or do you just set the time and date on them as needed? As of now I own 3 watches, a TAG, Orient, and a Fossil which is basically the watch I wear if I don't care what happens to it. But I'm liking the idea of having a few different watches. Mostly I have two tones now but am considering a stainless one and who knows maybe one day a leather bans as well :blushing:

You can buy winder to keep them going...they have a head that the watch mounts on and they rotate - some watches only wind in one direction and not always the same one and some wind in both. Check out the link below.

http://www.swisstgallery.com/?gclid=CKLBv8Ou_qcCFU9pKgodaS-2rw

I have a bad watch habit (although it is somewhat under control these days) and have a few automatic watches. At times, I don't even bother to set the date when I pick up a watch which has been idle for a few days- when I need to check the date, I might update my watch during the day (no big deal with a modern watch).
I wouldn't bother about a watch winder unless you are considering a calendar type of watch which can take some time to set.

So how long does it take to set a watch? A few seconds? Most auto's have quick set dates and a few winds or twirls of the watch and you put it on and that's it. I have a bunch of autos and I usually rotate through my watch collection every couple of months wearing each watch for a week so the autos stay dormant. I wouldn't buy a winder it just accelerates the time to a costly overhaul unless you have a perpetual or major complication which is a pain to set.

I went thru a watch winder phase. They work but are pricey and most are noisey. In the store they seem quiet but have it grind away at night in a quiet house, even in another room, and you can go nuts. I just wind my mechanical watches that are rarely worn every once and awhile. For the ones in the current rotation I just wear them and rewind, reset if they need it and don't worry about it. You wind up spending less time doing that than constantly fooling around with winders, etc.

I wouldn't bother about a watch winder unless you are considering a calendar type of watch which can take some time to set.

My thoughts exactly. Unless your watch has several complications, you might as well just take the minute or two it takes to set the time. Granted, if you switch watches every day, it may be better to just get the winder.

I have one Orbita winder that different watches spin on. I don't see that using a winder really increases wear. If you don't keep them wound you'll end up replacing stems and tubes from winding them all the time. My watches get serviced every 5 years anyway, so it's not really an issue to me.

I'm planning on getting a couple of automatics in the near future. Those I'm considering are lower end and don't hand-wind, so I'm tossing around whether to get a winder or just let them run down. One will probably be worn often enough to not require a winder... probably 4/5 days out of the week and at least one day on the weekend. The other, however, will probably only be worn 2-3 times per month... if it had a quick set date, I'd probably just let it run down, but it doesn't so I'm somewhat considering a winder.

Any inexpensive 2-watch winders out there?

I have several automatics, including a couple of Orients, along with a couple of hand winders. I pick a watch in the morning, check the time and go. It doesn't take any real effort and means you set your watch to correct time every day anyway.

A couple of my autos also hand wind - ironically its the cheapo Chinese movements, one even hacks and all for $65!

The "trick" I guess is not to worry about it :001_smile

I'm planning on getting a couple of automatics in the near future. Those I'm considering are lower end and don't hand-wind, so I'm tossing around whether to get a winder or just let them run down. One will probably be worn often enough to not require a winder... probably 4/5 days out of the week and at least one day on the weekend. The other, however, will probably only be worn 2-3 times per month... if it had a quick set date, I'd probably just let it run down, but it doesn't so I'm somewhat considering a winder.

Any inexpensive 2-watch winders out there?
Non hand winding seikos and orients will wind very quickly when worn, just a few swings to get going and wear. They wind in both directions of the rotor. So again, don't sweat the winder.

Non hand winding seikos and orients will wind very quickly when worn, just a few swings to get going and wear. They wind in both directions of the rotor. So again, don't sweat the winder.

Agreed. At one time I had 3 winders. I am down to one of these noisy buggers. After that one bites the dust, I will not buy another.

Legion

Staff member
I used to have a few, but I got sick of resetting the time and date every time I wanted a change. Now I just have one auto which I wear most of the time, and a few vintage manual watches which dont have the date on them. I usually wear those if I am dressing up, so the auto doesn't have time to stop before I get back to it.

Nah, although I like their ST19 based chronographs (the Paul Newman / Daytona series) and I've come close to buying one of their Seamaster copies, but the lack of water resistance put me off :w00t:

From memory, Alpha use a Chinese made version of a Myota (Citizen) design and they are very good.

This is the $65 hand winding and hacking auto. Odds are its one of the endless variations on a Seagull ST25 movement - I've not had the back off to check. Keeps extremely good time as well.

proxy.php

[Mods: I apologise if this pic breaks any rules here - it would on Watchuseek - let me know and I'll remove it ASAP]

Alpha? I found those guys the other night. One's already on the way.

Nah, although I like their ST19 based chronographs (the Paul Newman / Daytona series) and I've come close to buying one of their Seamaster copies, but the lack of water resistance put me off :w00t:

From memory, Alpha use a Chinese made version of a Myota (Citizen) design and they are very good.

This is the $65 hand winding and hacking auto. Odds are its one of the endless variations on a Seagull ST25 movement - I've not had the back off to check. Keeps extremely good time as well.

proxy.php

[Mods: I apologise if this pic breaks any rules here - it would on Watchuseek - let me know and I'll remove it ASAP]

very nice looking watch!

why would you ever own a non auto other than an extreme beater / digital

Because you like the hand wind thing

Because the watch is not available with an auto movement

You might as well ask why anyone would buy a mechanical watch when quartz is more accurate, lower maintenance and cheaper.

Top Bottom