What's new

Against the grain?

I have not tried to go against the grain since coming to DE shaving. This is due mainly to some lingering apprehension because of my old Mach3 use. When I used a cartridge razor, if I tried to go against the grain I would get horrible cases of ingrown hairs all over my neck. And the little buggers would last for weeks. So because of this I do not, or at least have not, gone against the grain yet. Also, on most shave days I do a 2 pass shave. One with the grain, and one across the grain. On my neck I usually just do 2 passes with the grain. Even with the simple 2 pass shave, I get a much better shave then I ever did with the Mach3.

Hi Hack, and welcome to B&B.

Offhand, I'd say that *most* B&B'ers shave ATG, at least occasionally. It's not something you have to do, or have to do every shave. ATG can be very harsh, and some men are sensitive enough that ATG isn't possible for them. The key to such a practice, is beard reduction through preceeding passes that make the ATG pass reasonable.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but you should read Leisureguys' shaving blog, and view Mantics shaving videos that he's posted on YouTube on the net. Both are a tremendous resource for the new/returning wet shaver, and are heartily recommended. These items will 'clue you into' many of the practices you'll hear mentioned on B&B.

-- John Gehman

I shave against the grain every day. It's the third pass: first, with the grain, second, across the grain, third, against the grain. No problems to date.

Against the grain is harder to master, since you have to supply the pressure, and it's easy to apply too much. And it's harder to maintain good blade angle. But if you can do that, you might give it a try.

The only time I shave against the grain is in the shower with GEL, its only once a week with a three head razor, (I find this easy) I haven't mastered the ATG with my Merkur, call me wimpy.....:001_huh:

I have tried ATG on a number of occasions... the last time being with a Gillette Adjustable set on #1 :tongue_sm . While it was comfortable, I [still] got ingrown hairs on my neck, so I've given up on the notion of ATG.

Oh well, I still get a very close and respectable shave with my current routine of WTG/XTG/XTG and touch-up as needed. BBS is just not that vital to my continued enjoyment of wet shaving.

Rick

I can get a butter-smooth shave with 4 passes and not one against the grain. If I do it's instant ingrown! This being the reason I chucked the mach 3 in the first place. Preperation, hot water, pressure and blade angle are enough for me - Ooh! and patience!!

I sometimes wonder, "Do I really need to shave that close? Am I in the army? Am I on parade? Am I under inspection?" Answer - NO! :out:

Comfort over razorburn is for me everytime! :cool:

When I'm at home I do 4 passes every morning, and the fourth is against the grain. I'm nearly BBS (except for a couple of pesky spots on the neck) every day. Well, ok, that's with a DE.

I've been trying to learn straights - with those I stick to two or three passes, and none against the grain yet. I'f I have any rough spots after two or three with a straight I'll touch up with a DE against the grain.

I shave against the grain every day. It's the third pass: first, with the grain, second, across the grain, third, against the grain. No problems to date.

Same here, although I make ATG my second pass (WTG is first, and XTG is third).

Against the grain is harder to master, since you have to supply the pressure, and it's easy to apply too much. And it's harder to maintain good blade angle. But if you can do that, you might give it a try.

Mine has been a somewhat different experience. In my case, I generally use heavier DE razors -- a "Big Fellow", or any one of several "Bostonians", "New Standards", and "Tuckaways" -- and I have found that their weight, together with tilting my head slightly to the left, right, or rear, enables me to avoid applying any extra pressure; the razor's weight provides sufficient pressure, and my job is, simply, to choose where to begin each stroke of the blade, and guide the razor along its route.

It's as they say: "Different strokes, for different folks."

Smooth shaving!

Hack,

I don't shave against the grain either, because the next morning I'll have more to shave :001_tt1:. Ok, seriously. if I shave against the grain, (as my theory goes), I'll wind up with red blotches.

So, I don't get the closest shave, that I was getting, but like Consettmag said:

Am I in the army? Am I on parade? Am I under inspection?" Answer - NO!

Comfort over razorburn is for me everytime!

:a50: :clap: :thumbup:

I'd rather go ATG and get that nice buttery smooth shave when you rub your hand over your face in all directions, but the price to me just isn't worth it. As always, Your mileage may vary (YMMV).

I've only been at this (DE Shaving) for a week but find it pretty easy to shave ATG on my cheek without irritation, but a lot more difficult on the jaw, and the neck is kinda in between.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
For me, the third pass is always against the grain. After that, I use a disposable Gillette to touch up any rough spots.

I do two passes with a straight, WTG and XTG, and then if I want to be extra smooth, and smooth for longer, a third pass ATG. I often hit my chin ATG with a bit more lather, if not the rest of my face, because it is harder to get smooth. Depends how much I want to be REALLY smooth that day. Two passes gets it all pretty close.

I do at least three, WTG, XTG, XTG (reverse) then ATG, and it seems to work well for me. I just try to remember to use *very* light to no pressure.

I shave ATG once in a while, about twice a week. I found out very quickly that short QUICK strokes work best. I really dont like to recall the time i did short SLOW strokes, i still shudder at the thought.

I always go ATG on my third pass. However, there are a few spots on my neck where I can't go ATG no matter what razor, blade, soap, etc... so I go almost against the grain and get ATG results.

Top Bottom