What's new

Still another use for alum

Its amazing the uses for this stuff. Last night while eating something I ended up biting my lip. Now if you've ever done that before you know that its always painful and of course you'll end up biting that same spot again. It usually takes a good day or two to heal properly. I usually just end up trying not to bite my lip again, and just generally try to be very careful when eating. While in the bathroom before going to bed I saw my alum block in its holder. I remembered as a young boy my grandfather telling me about using powdered alum for canker sores, and how it would heal them.

Knowing the antiseptic properties of alum I thought I'd give it a try on that sore lip with its small cut from the bite. I rinsed the block off and while still wet I rubbed the block over the bite area. There was a slight sting and that was it, off to bed I went. In the morning the area was no longer sore, and had already begun to heal. Now almost 24 hours later that spot is feeling just fine. Just another use for the alum with no adverse effects. This stuff is really something. :thumbup1:

You might get a slight aftertaste...but other than that...:biggrin1:

actually alum is sweet. i read someplace it used to be used as a sweetener...they also use it to purify water so i dont think it tastes bad. tho i've never licked my block...too concerned about licking a big block of aluminum salt.

It's also great for us head-shavers out there. Rub it over your head after a shave (I'd give it 15 minutes or more to settle down first otherwise it hurts like a &£$"(£*$k) and bang, shiny head syndrome is prevented for the day! :wink2:

Yet another use- rub it where you wear your watch. It prevents the watch strap from getting "funky".
Great for a foot deodorant too...

Has anyone put it on an open wound on your hand?

I've not, but I imagine it would help if you sprinkled powdered alum on a wound. In fact a combination of witch hazel, rubbing alcohol and powdered alum I bet would be a really, really good wound cleanser and astringent

All hail the power of alum! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom