What's new

Horse brush break-in

I got one of those cheapo horse brushes from Bestshave and have used it a few times and find that it holds almost no lather. Does it get better once the ends split? My other bush is a VDH deluxe that holds 3 passes worth of lather. Do these indeed break in? Thanks!

I got one of those cheapo horse brushes from Bestshave and have used it a few times and find that it holds almost no lather. Does it get better once the ends split? My other bush is a VDH deluxe that holds 3 passes worth of lather. Do these indeed break in? Thanks!

They DO SPLIT, I own the #6, a bit sparse in the knot but it does lather soaps & creams well, I would suggest loading the brush ~1:30 - 2:00 the #6 holds enough for ~3 passes, any more and you'll have to swipe the puck ~15-25 seconds. The Brush DOES dry Very Quickly and would be good for travel, ~45 loft, ~21mm knot.

I also have the #7 yellow handle, better knot ~20-21, 50mm loft and handles soaps & creams very nicely.

Both brushes splayed after ~7-10 lathers, good brushes for the price, I'm waiting on the #1 to arrive (impatiently)

I E-mailed them because one brush had White Hairs, Synthetic?, He replied "ALL BRUSHES ARE 100% HORSE".

My First Horse was a Vie-Long 1350, That started my addiction to the Horse, I also own two Semogues; 1250 and a Drug store from Portuguese Gifts (White Handle), still waiting for it's arrival.

I bought a TGN Marble Acrylic Handle and 2 Boars, 20mm knot & 22mm knot, LOVE THEM ALL.

SOLD MY SILVER-TIP and PURE BADGER, but want a BLACK BADGER for my RED/ WHITE Mohawk

if you want a really great horse hair brush ,invest in a 23mm knot brush manufactured by vie-long of spain,they have no equal...

The ends are indeed splitting. It whipped up a nice lather today and it held two passes worth, so it's breaking in pretty quickly. I should never have doubted the #6!

if you want a really great horse hair brush ,invest in a 23mm knot brush manufactured by vie-long of spain,they have no equal...

I Love the Vie- Long Brushes, the 13520 was the start of my fascination with Horse Hair.

The ends are indeed splitting. It whipped up a nice lather today and it held two passes worth, so it's breaking in pretty quickly. I should never have doubted the #6!

For the price (2.45) these are FUN Brushes, IMO I prefer the #7, the knot is a tad denser and the loft is ~50.

ADD: Just received the #1, IT'S a MONSTER; ~67 Loft, ~26-28 knot. Think I'll use it when shaving my head. Out of the Box, NEVER LATHERED, next to Semogue 1250, ~52 mm Loft, ~22mm Knot

Attachments

• $IMG_1892.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I LOVE the Vie- Long Brushes, the 1350 was the start of my fascination with Horse Hair.

For the price (2.45) these are FUN Brushes, IMO I prefer the #7, the knot is a tad denser and the loft is ~50

Just a style note on the previous post. Somewhere less than 10% of the American public has some vision issues that affect their sight. Although I applaud the posters effort to use color, it does reduce the contrast and make the post more difficult to see.

Just a style note on the previous post. Somewhere less than 10% of the American public has some vision issues that affect their sight. Although I applaud the posters effort to use color, it does reduce the contrast and make the post more difficult to see.

My apologies, thought it was more of a red hue :blushing:

Top Bottom