What's new

Alum block?

hey fellow badger lovers,

haha. I'm new to wetshaving, and just wondering if any of you could shed some light on what an 'alum block' actually is? What is it's purpose? When do you use it? Is it ok to use for people with sensitive skin which is prone to ingrown hairs and acne?

If there are any australians here, do you know if they're available in stores around Sydney?

Thanks gentlemen,

Steve

Howdy Steve, welcome to B&B. I don't use an Alum block, only because I have not had any money to spare, I seem to waste all mine on new soaps and creams :biggrin:

But it's my understanding that an Alum block helps close your pores after a shave, as well as sooth any razor burn and help seal up any small nicks or cuts you may have. I believe you either wet the alum block first, or use a dry alum block on a wet face and rub it around. I hope I described it correctly, if I did not hopefully some of the older wiser members will correct me.

Enjoy!

Welcome!

Read this thread.

An alternative to the alum block could be witch hazel.

Personally, I only use the alum block when I nick myself because it makes my skin go red. But others love it! I recommend you try it out and see if you like it.

I liked an alum block initially, but it really didn't do much for me other than light to medium burn. I hear the Shavex block does not burn the same as the $4 crystal deodorant I bought, but it's not worth $15-20 to me to find out. When I started method shaving, it REALLY burned. Worse than alcohol based aftershave! As I got better at zero pressure, it moved back to a mild burn.

I have now mostly relegated it to my fingertips where it gives me a great grip on the razor. It really removes the slickness.

Brad

From the Guide to Gourmet Shaving:
After the cold-water rinse and prior to using an aftershave, use an alum block. It’s extraordinarily refreshing, but the sort of thing (like coffee) that appeals to adult tastes: in the case of the alum block, a tingling and sometimes a slight stinging.

One good-sized alum block should last for a year or two (unless you drop it on a hard floor). According to Shavex, the company that makes the alum blocks sold by Mama Bear: “The Alum Block (for shaving and deodorant purposes) is usually Potash Alum. Potash Alum doesn’t sting so much as Ammonium Alum, but some companies do use Ammonium Alum as a shaving block.”

One inexpensive form of Potassium Alum (which is the same as Potash Alum) is deodorant crystal sticks—for some reason these are often priced much less than the alum block sold to shavers. The Wikipedia article on Alum provides more information.

Hold the alum block and glide it over the freshly shaved part of your face while your face is still wet from the cold-water rinse. (Don’t wet the block, just glide it over your wet face.)

This is non-abrasive: the block simply slides over your freshly shaved face. The block is then placed on its little wooden rack to air-dry.

I have read where some have inexplicably attempted to use a styptic pencil as though it were an alum block, rubbing the side of the pencil on the face. This is very misguided. The styptic pencil is not the same substance; it’s usually aluminum sulfate anhydrous or titanium dioxide. Get a real alum block.
You can frequently find inexpensive alum blocks in Indian markets.

F

firebox

Mike gave a great dissertation. I use an alum block after a cold water rinse and before a witchhazel splash. Just rinse off the alum. Finish with an aftershave. Not a bad day.

Steve,

The two places I know of here are ..............
http://www.artofman.com.au/store.php?idstring=37,12 but it will cost you $35 for the privilege, this mob are in Sydney.

The other place is in Melb............http://www.ludlows.com.au/ludlows/spitfire.jsp?c_id=10004&p_id=10191 but will only cost $22.50 for the same thing. I gave them a visit when I was last there, and they were very helpful.

I myself have just bought myself another alum bar at the local Asian grocery, it was bigger than the palm of my hand and cost me a grand total of $2.50. These type I am not sure whether they are the same as the alum bars we use for shaving purposes or whether they are more like the ones that are used for deodorant sticks.

Cheers
John

I use an alum block. I'm not sure why. It stings but I guess it's quite satisfying. Perhaps I'm a little weird? It's also interesting because it shows up where you're shaving properly as it makes the sorer parts a little red for a few minutes. Then follow it with after shave and then balm.

Top Bottom