What's new

soap storage?

Hi, I just got a small puck of shaving soap and i was wondering, how should i go about storing it? I know that some brands come in a tub that you load your brush with then move to a bowl, scuttle what you choose to use, but what if it didnt come in a tub? Mine came in just some plastic. Do you put it in your mug and lather on top of it then just leave it until next time? Would this be bad for the soap? Im curious to what you guys do. Thanks in advance.

TJ

Hey TJ, welcome aboard. I had the same kind of question when I first started wet shaving. I have quite a few soaps now, and the ones that did not come in their own container I have put in just plain old coffee mugs. I will load my brush directly from the coffee mug, and then build the later on my face. Once I'm done, I just rinse all the extra soap suds off the soap and make sure to drain any excess water from the mug. At that poing I just leave out to dry. I've not had any problems with this, and have not experienced any loss of effectivness of the soaps. Good luck.

Hey, TJ!

At first, I put the few shaving-soap pucks/cakes which I'd bought into used plastic containers -- small ones, such as for butter, margarine, or whatever. I asked around at the office, and ended-up with close to a dozen of 'em.

After a while, I bought a number of wooden bowls (with lift-off lids) from the Old Dominion Soap Company. They cost more than a few bucks, but look good and are reusable. YMMV.

There are other kinds of containers to be found: metal, exotic woods, ceramic, stone, etc. The Internet "is your oyster".

One bit of advice, from a guy who screwed-up twice: Think very carefully before you decide to melt any shaving soap in a microwave (or anywhere else), in order to get it to assume the shape of its container -- it's way too easy to overheat it and burn-off the fragrance; if/when that happens, your nose will notice it, and you'll feel all kinds of bad. Again, YMMV (but I'll never do it again).

Smooth shaving!

You can put the soap in any container that fits. Normally you will not build the lather on the soap---just rub the wet brush on the soap until the lather just starts to form, at which point the brush has picked up enough soap. You then develop the lather on your beard or in a lathering bowl or in your cupped hand.

You can pick up 1 cup Anchor Hocking glass containers w/ plastic snap on lids @ your local Wal-Mart or Target. You get 4 containers + tops for about $6.

Or if you cannot find those, head to the grocery store and look for the 1 cup plastic containers by Glad-either way, you'll be set - now and in the future:

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!

Marty

My local Target has empty 4 oz cream containers that fit a puck of Williams soap perfectly!

What section are these located? Can you give a general physical description, label contents, color, etc. so I know what I'm looking for? The only cream container I can think of has a spout to pour the cream. TIA

Most of my soaps came in their own containers. The Provence Sante that didn't is residing in an apothecary mug. SCS Sue's soap is in a little plastic baggie waiting for the next time I can't resist smelling that soap again. :lol:

You can pick up 1 cup Anchor Hocking glass containers w/ plastic snap on lids @ your local Wal-Mart or Target. You get 4 containers + tops for about $6.

Or if you cannot find those, head to the grocery store and look for the 1 cup plastic containers by Glad-either way.Marty

This is the way to go for those soaps that don't come in their own containers. You can also use these containers to melt the soap in them.

What section are these located? Can you give a general physical description, label contents, color, etc. so I know what I'm looking for? The only cream container I can think of has a spout to pour the cream. TIA

They're over with the travel sized samples where you find shampoo, soap and the like. They're have 4 oz round containers with a screw on lid. They also have 2 oz containers that work great for putting a little shaving cream. I found mine with the soap boxes and tootbrush cases. I doubt every Target stocks the same merchandise so...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Or if you cannot find those, head to the grocery store and look for the 1 cup plastic containers by Glad-either way, you'll be set - now and in the future:

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!

Marty

I use those glass containers too and really like them.

Top Bottom