What's new

Electronic cigarette, anyone?

My latest toy.

proxy.php

Where there's smoke, there's fire. In this case, the fire is liable to be the controversy over this thing. Why? Because the smoke is actually...
glycerin

:lol:

theres no smoke. just vapor. i have three different ones i use. they are an awsome good time. keep up the vapin:thumbup:

2 weeks ago i got a an electronic cigarette kit that i purchased on the Chinainvasion website, maybe what i got is cheap but it doesn't make much vapor and the refills i got were high nicotine, they gave me headache and a sort of buzz, so a day after i went back to normal cigarette.
The fun part was to bring that to my job , all the guys were asking me what the hell is that, 3 of them asked for a puff.

I had a one when I lived in Japan. They are great but they have a psychosomatic effect on those that are reviled by real cigarettes. I had a bizarre conversation with a woman who was convinced that it was a real cig until I 'extinguished' the cherry on my arm. Much to her surprise there was no burn on my arm. They an be very convincing to the untrained observer. That being said, I want another one.

There is a rumor of elec cigs being banned in one of our local stadiums. Too many people are way to scared of what they do not understand or rather prefer to be ignorant of.

I know nothing about electronic cigarettes but I did see a NO ELECTRONIC CIGARETTES sign on an airplane last weekend. I thought it was just water vapor? Why would they be banned if there are no second hand smoke effects? I heard once upon a time that the water vapor expectorant was only for effect and in absolutely no way a necessary thing (like Nicorette adding a puff that came out of each chew - if that makes sense). Thought all this was interesting.

Why would they be banned if there are no second hand smoke effects?

Because The Righteous don't like even the appearance of someone enjoying themselves. The politicians don't like them because they haven't figured out how to tax them yet. For most of the other aholes it is as simple as they don't like how it looks. Walk into a Starbucks or Barnes and Noble with a E-cig in your mouth... I'll bet someone faints and someone else decides to tell you what a jerk you are. :scared:

I bought my first E-cigs just this week and I can say it really helps kill the craving for a real cigarette. It won't replace my pipe or snus, but I can really see a use for them.

The vapor is from heating propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin or a combination of those two. There's also flavors and nicotine in there. It's not just water vapor. People can have reactions from these flavorings, just like from perfume.

The vapor is from heating propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin or a combination of those two. There's also flavors and nicotine in there. It's not just water vapor. People can have reactions from these flavorings, just like from perfume.

The same can be said for pollen, gas exhaust, flatulence, and any other number of possible irritants. It's mostly people who are afraid of what they do not understand.

I picked up a starter kit from a 7-11 in Virginia before I moved, and I gotta say I really liked them.

There seems to be a huge variance in prices though, and presumably quality.

Do you all have the models that you refill with liquid, or the kind where it's basically a sponge inside with the liquid nicotine/water/other stuff already absorbed?

Mine has 1 ml refillable drip tanks, no sponge or cotton. It also has a 1000 mAh battery. Between those two features, it's almost good enough for a day. The starter kit comes with 2 full sticks. I probably go through 3 tank fulls a day, so having 2 sticks runs a little short, and I have to fill a tank during the day. The hard cores on the vapor boards seem to favor dripping directly into the atomizer, but I can't see myself dispensing drops from a bottle every time I want a hit.

These kind of act like after shaves. They vaporize glycerin or propylene glycol, which is like applying an ASB to my face and hands all day. :lol:

it's interesting to read you all's opinions about e-cigs. i used to work for an anti-tobacco group and these were the talk of day right before I left. i'm definitely not here to debate anyone as i'm not an insider by any means but the reason there is controversy around these is due to the quality control of these items and the indability of the FDA to regulate these products as they aren't being marketted as smoking cessation device, even though some people are using them as such.

with there being so many companies making these, many of them overseas, there is little knowledge about what else is in the compound. i've read a study that found diethylene glycol in the various samples tested. the various amounts of nicotine actually delivered varies a lot by cart and by maker so there's not much QC going on with making these.

again, not here to say people shouldn't use them. but i dont think ignorance are why these are being banned. Definitely not because of:

Because The Righteous don't like even the appearance of someone enjoying themselves. The politicians don't like them because they haven't figured out how to tax them yet. For most of the other aholes it is as simple as they don't like how it looks. Walk into a Starbucks or Barnes and Noble with a E-cig in your mouth... I'll bet someone faints and someone else decides to tell you what a jerk you are. :scared:

I bought my first E-cigs just this week and I can say it really helps kill the craving for a real cigarette. It won't replace my pipe or snus, but I can really see a use for them.

not debating the amount of control the FDA has/wants to have/doesn't have and whether they should control these products, but i would want to know what i put in my body regardless of whether it's harmful or not. and i think that's reason enough for these to be banned in the meantime.

I wasn't arguing about the FDA/gov banning them. My point was they are legal now and banning them on airplanes or restaurants has no basis in fact only a basis in fear.
Everyone needs to assess their own tolerance for risk. Personally I believe that E-cigs are much less harmful than tobacco cigarettes. Therefore the risk for me is acceptable. If you feel it is not acceptable to you, no one is twisting your arm and forcing you to smoke them. and if someone wants to complain about second-hand water vapor, well it's a free country and I am allowed to laugh at them if I want.

Ban or no, I'm not going to inflict smoke or vapor on anyone that doesn't want it, and an airplane is as confined a space as I can think of. Unfortunately, too few non smokers have this same respect for people that do smoke, so I fully expect to eventually be classed a drug addict and be forced to undergo treatment for this addictive disease. Meanwhile, I'm stockpiling salt, sugar, fat, tobacco, and any other pleasurable things I can think of, while I enjoy my pesticide strawberries, irradiated fish, crude oiled seafood, mad cow, factory-injected hormone chicken, and genetically modified corn. You have to keep things in perspective. :wink:

My understanding is that the base liquid with nicotine is patented in China, and there's no legal way around that. Meanwhile, there are manufacturers elsewhere that put their own juice together, but they use the base from the Chinese company that owns the patent. I'm not too thrilled with the juices I have, so I need to sample some others. The coffee flavored one was particularly vile, and the tobaccos are all sweet, which is just wrong. I also want to try another contraption, since they're not all made equal. There's a lot of quality issues with some of them, and apparently the tank I have is one of them with issues.

Last edited:
Mine has 1 ml refillable drip tanks, no sponge or cotton. It also has a 1000 mAh battery. Between those two features, it's almost good enough for a day. The starter kit comes with 2 full sticks. I probably go through 3 tank fulls a day, so having 2 sticks runs a little short, and I have to fill a tank during the day. The hard cores on the vapor boards seem to favor dripping directly into the atomizer, but I can't see myself dispensing drops from a bottle every time I want a hit.

These kind of act like after shaves. They vaporize glycerin or propylene glycol, which is like applying an ASB to my face and hands all day. :lol:

Wow just a day? The soaked sponge ones I got woul last me at least 2 or 3 days before I had to swap in a new cartridge.

On a somewhat related note, has anyone thought of combining some other flavors in their e-cigs? I'm a big fan of shisha and I think theres room for some more flavors. Not to mention some other....plant based combustibles.

There's obviously all kinds of flavors available from many vendors. I only have juice from one vendor. None of the 3 tobacco flavors are as complex as tobacco. They all seem to have a sickly sweet component, but some are better than others. Then again, I'm enjoying some of the other flavors, like vanilla.

There's also thickness, the kick you get in your mouth & throat, nicotine delivery, and other things going on. I seem to be favoring the vapor for the lack of dirt going into my lungs, and the vapor never bothers my eyes. On the other hand, I seem to be getting some moisture in my lungs from the vapor. Overall, it tends to be milder than my cigarettes, but a large draw is still a large draw and I've choked on a huge cloud once or twice. That's partly because this particular model has very small draw holes and a hard draw so it takes a lot more work to get a hit than from a normal cigarette.

The juices are made from vegetable glycerin (VG) and propylene glycol (PG), one thicker than the other, and some are a mix of the two. The thin one seems to have more kick, while a thicker mix is cooler. I have a chocolate mint 50:50 mix but I'm not getting much vapor out of it. It seems to be clogging the thing. There might be a cleaning procedure for the atomizer--it wasn't like this at first. The other liquids aren't all marked, so I don't know which is which in terms of VG vs PG. It might have been a mistake to buy 8 bottles from the same vendor--it looks to be about 10 weeks worth. I'm told there are vendors that have better flavors.

Enough for now.

Top Bottom