What's new

Off to the range

thanks for the reminder, i'm gonna have to check the local outdoor ranges and see if they're open yet. I gotta give my A-Bolt a warm-up

I just sold my daughter a CZ2075 RAMI-P 9mm pistol, and my son-in-law just got an Automag .22 pistol. We'll probably be shooting my wife's CZ75 Semi-Compact 9mm, as well.

I think i'm making some progress with the wife and guns. since it was so nice out yesterday the wife and I decided to have a barbecue. I told her that I was researching some shooting ranges in town and that I'm considering membership at one of these gun clubs. I then asked her if she'd like to come along with me one of these days to go shooting. she was apprehensive at first because she loathes guns, but once I explained to her what the environment was like she started to ask questions. I told her we wouldn't be shooting at moving targets and that we'd be sitting at a bench shooting at paper targets. I explained some of the safety protocols to put her at ease and she gradually said yes, BUT that I had to go to the store and buy her S'Mores to cook over the fire. I think her main fear was that she would hurt herself from the recoil of my rifle. when I took her trap shooting last Fall she was physically sore from using a 12ga shotgun all day, so the thought of using a rifle didn't sound appealing to her. my hope is that after going over the safety basics with her and shooting some paper targets she'll get over her fear of guns. I jokingly said the next step for her is to go deer hunting with me next Fall. but, I know this is pushing it. we found a dead rabbit near our shed yesterday and she started to cry, so the thought of me shooting a deer didn't make her jump at the opportunity. either way, i'm pretty excited about it

Have you thought about just taking her out to shoot a brick of .22s? Virtually no recoil, and it introduces more of the fun factor of shooting. Then she wouldn't be so apprehensive about the recoil or the ensuing soreness over the next few days. Just keep asking her to join you, and hopefully she'll eventually be as much of an enthusiast as you are!:001_smile

A 22 really is vital to getting someone to enjoy shooting who doesn't. Check your local gun stores and pawn shops. A used 22 can usually be had for $100-150, new they start at about $200ish. Look for a Ruger 10/22 as they are very reliable and very easy to upgrade or swap parts just for fun. Plus 22 ammo is so cheap you'll find yourselves getting more trigger time than you ever thought without the associated wallet pains, under $20 for 500rds. Good luck!

Jay

Edit-Since you said you hunt that also opens up squirrel & rabbit!

I haven't officially gone hunting yet :tongue_sm. I hope to go on my first deer hunt next Fall, and my dream would be to go on an Elk hunt out West. I tend to take a more utilitarian approach to hunting though...if I'm not eating i'm not shooting it.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A 22 really is vital to getting someone to enjoy shooting who doesn't. Check your local gun stores and pawn shops. A used 22 can usually be had for $100-150, new they start at about $200ish. Look for a Ruger 10/22 as they are very reliable and very easy to upgrade or swap parts just for fun. Plus 22 ammo is so cheap you'll find yourselves getting more trigger time than you ever thought without the associated wallet pains, under $20 for 500rds. Good luck!

Jay

Oh yeah... a 10/22 is the most fun you can have in that caliber! Great little plinker! Lots of aftermarket doodads for it, too.

Top Bottom