What's new

Noticed a thing or two on eBay...

There seem to be a lot of eBayers out there who either do not understand the way automatic bidding works, or keep changing their minds about how much they're willing to pay.

I agree.

Putting in a bid in the closing seconds of an auction gives them less time to react.

For popular items, the vast majority of the "bidding" occurs in the final seconds anyhow -- whether it's manual bids or automatic ones being triggered. For items that only end up getting a bid or two, sniping is more likely to be successful. At least in my limited experience.

Here's another angle. The bid early strategy (assuming it is a reasonable bid) can sometimes "secure" an item because it dissuades lowball bids and can discourage other bidders with a similar price point from entering the auction. (If I see a $15 razor sitting at a $12 bid early on, I'll move on. Not so if it's at $9 with no bids and an hour to go.)

I bought a 1932 Gillette "The New" open-combed razor, in its original box (and with two original razor blades), on E-Bay recently for $4.99. Both the box and razor were in well worn condition. I cleaned up the box, and had the razor professionally re-plated in brushed nickel for $25. Now I have a like-new '32 Gillette for less then a new Merkur would have cost me. It pays to be patient and thrifty sometimes.

View attachment 154677

Last edited:
Buyers are adapting. You lose out on a razor a few times because a BIN is added after you see it, and you start bidding on them as soon as they're listed to prevent it.

Exactly ... no offense to other posters, but if I see something that looks interesting and I'd like to have an opportunity to bid on it in the final hours, I'll bid the rock-bottom price for which it is listed in order to prevent BIN sales. I do avoid bidding wars, however. Manual sniping is the only way to get something for a reasonable price. IMO

It's amazing how much the prices have gone up on e-bay for Gillette double edge razors from the 1940's to the 1960's.:w00t:

IMO....You name it....the prices of Fat Boys, Super Speeds, Slim Adjustable, Red Tips, Black Tips and Blue Tips have surged.

I can remember a few years ago that you could get a nice razor, cased, for a reasonable price. Today, the same Quality Gillette double edge razor, without the case, is fetching 3 to 4 times the price of a couple of years ago.

IMO...I don't know if it's collectors or people wanting to get into wet shaving that is causing the prices to skyrocket but it seems to be a trend that will only go up in the future. It's all about supply and demand and from the millions of double edge razors that have survived the land fill, a premium is being paid for their quality.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom